How to I use function keys without pressing Fn Key in Acer Predator Helios 16 PH16-71 GTX 4070.

Options
OAJJAIN
OAJJAIN Member Posts: 32 Troubleshooter
edited October 2023 in Predator Laptops

I wanted to do the above but couldn't find any such option in bios. How to I use function keys without pressing Fn key?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• HammondComputers
    HammondComputers Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

i have the ph-18. same issue. nothing in bios (the bios is VERY limited for a gaming laptop) no utility i could find locks the func key ether.

• OAJJAIN
    Options

Even Pressing Fn Key + Esc doesn't work. This functionality should be there

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,469 Trailblazer
    Options
  • jameshyden007
    jameshyden007 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

On Acer Predator laptops, the "Fn" (Function) key is used to access additional functions and features, typically in combination with other keys. These functions may include adjusting brightness, volume, keyboard backlighting, and more. Here's how to use the "Fn" key on an Acer Predator Helios 16 PH16-71 GTX 4070 or a similar laptop:

1. Standard Function Keys: By default, the function keys (F1, F2, F3, etc.) on the laptop's keyboard act as standard function keys. To use them, press them directly without holding down the "Fn" key. For example, pressing "F2" might lower the screen brightness.
    2. Function Key Shortcuts: To access additional functions, such as adjusting screen brightness or volume, you'll need to press the "Fn" key in combination with a function key. For example, "Fn" + "F3" might control the screen brightness. These shortcuts are often indicated with icons on the function keys.
    3. Acer Predator Software: Some Acer Predator laptops come with specialized software for customizing the function of the "Fn" key. You can often find these settings in the Acer Predator Sense or similar utility. Check if your laptop has this software and customize the "Fn" key functions to your preference.
    4. User Manual: If you're unsure about the specific function key combinations on your Acer Predator laptop, consult the user manual that came with your laptop. It should provide detailed information on using the "Fn" key and its shortcuts.

• OAJJAIN
    Options

My BIOS is updated. Reset BIOS doesn't show that option either. Press Ctrl+S where in bios?

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,469 Trailblazer
    Options

Yes, Ctrl+S in Bios may show hidden options but you have to try that for each screen. You have the F9 option in BIOS to reset BIOS, look at the top of the menu. Just press F9. Maybe there is something wrong with your keyboard, try an external USB keyboard if your Fn keys are not working, and uninstall the keyboard/PS driver in Device Manager, than make sure internet is working and reboot. If you cannot do any of this, I recommend bringing your laptop to Acer Services in your country to reset BIOS for you.

• OAJJAIN
    Options

I have tried Ctrl + S and reset. No such option in Bios for Func Key
    I also used an external keyboard and also reset the drivers. Still no issue. I think it's not supported on my laptop.

• OAJJAIN
    Options

Is anyone from Acer support here who can answer this?

• OAJJAIN
    Options

Anyone from acer community/support who can answer this?

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Look for the function called FUNCTIONKEYBEHAVIOR in the bios.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • OAJJAIN
    Options

There is no such option in bios. I am on latest bios version

• OAJJAIN
    Options

Anyone know what to do about this or how to ask acer to officially add support for function key behavior for my laptop?

• Alejandro_AC
    Options

Please try pressing the Fn + Shift key at the same time

Thank you.
    All the best.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

I use Google Translate for English, German, Portuguese and French.

Pro bono collaborator, I don't work or speak in the name of Acer

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

Colaborador Pro bono, no trabajo o hablo en nombre de Acer

MSFT MVP (2003-21) & Windows Insider

X (Twitter)

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Try updating your bios to the latest version. Then check if this option is available.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • OAJJAIN
    Options

I am on the latest bios version as mentioned before, there is no such option. Any of the methods mentioned in the above responses didn't work for me

• HarshD
    HarshD Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

hi,

I am facing the same issue as you and I have the same laptop as well there is no option in BIOS for function key behavior, it's pretty frustrating tbh.

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,747 Trailblazer
    Options

Look for this function:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• OAJJAIN
    Options

I am on bios version 1.16 and in this version there is no such option for function key.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Have you tried pressing the ctrl+s keys to enable some functions?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• OAJJAIN
    Options

Yes, I have, still no option comes for fn key behavior