Predator Orion 3000 PO3-630 It beeps twice then nothing.

Options
Juanm2592
Juanm2592 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in Predator Desktops

Hello I have a Predator Orion 3000, have had it for about 5 months now and suddenly nothing shows up on monitor. It beeps twice then nothing. Any Ideas what this could be?

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and add issue detail]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,060 Trailblazer
    Options

Two beeps post boot usually means a ram issue, have you updated the ram and added new modules, if not then take the existing ram out and put them back into their slots and see if that fixes things, also have you updated the bios, as a corrupt/bricked bios programing or flashing also have symptoms of a black screen, that are common with bad ram, faulty ram slots or badly seated ram into their slots or a corrupted bad bios.

Don't do anything to your desktop, contact Acer Tech Support and get Acer to fix this problem for you, as for a user to try to fix a PC that is under warranty is dumb and should not be something that should be done or should we advise you on.

• Juanm2592

Tinkerer

Options

Hey Steven, they bought it second hand and warranty expired in July Sadly. It was working fine though up until recently. I'm experienced somewhat with computers have built 2 but this one is my nephews that I'm trying to get working for him. Ive tried replacing cmos, swapping ram spots, using only one ram stick. removing HD and SSDs and nothing no matter what I get 2 beeps. I dont have any other DDR4 ram so havent tried using new sticks. I tried the 3070 in my PC and it worked so its not the gpu either

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,060 Trailblazer
    edited October 2023
    Options

The PO3-630 desktop error codes appear on the screen together with the beeping sounds, make a note of those codes as its a more accurate way of knowing what is wrong with your desktop, than the beeping codes. I've included a copy of all the POST Error Messages and Descriptions and the guide for the BIOS Recovery USB procedure and all the Beeping codes below:

By what you are saying, your two beeps mean this:

One long beep, then one short beep - BIOS failure - BIOS damaged. Processors jump to boot block to execute the default procedure.

With a bios failure, you need to first reset the CMOS (which you have done) but do it again and then also take the bios battery out and leave the desktop unplugged overnight and see if the bios resets. If not, then try to follow the PO3-630 Acer BIOS Recovery Guide (see PDF below) and reflash the bios, if you don't know how to do that, then take the desktop to either Acer Tech Support or to an experienced technician in your area as he will need to reprogram the bios to the latest bios version or if the bios chip is damaged and can't be reprogrammed, then the bios needs to be changed, which you need micro soldering tools . Good luck and hope this helps you out.

POST Error Messages that should appear on the monitor (see codes in the PDF below)
    POST error messages tell users what failure the system has detected. Some error messages could be related to a hardware device. Others may indicate a problem with a device configuration. In some cases an error message may include recommendations for troubleshooting or require that you press the Enter key to display recommendations. Follow the instructions on the screen. It is recommended that you correct the error before proceeding, even if the computer appears to boot successfully.
    IMPORTANT: If your system fails after you make changes in the Setup menus, reboot the computer, enter
    Setup again and load Setup defaults to correct the error.

• Juanm2592

Tinkerer

Options

Hey Steven, thanks for all your help.

I cleared cmos with the jumper and removed the battery. Hopefully that works tomorrow if not I got a usb setup to try doing the BIOS recovery. I only need to drag over the R01-A4.cap ROM file to the USB correct? Nothing else?

• Juanm2592

Tinkerer

Options

It was still giving me the same issue today after leaving the cmos battery out overnight. I tried doing a bios recovery and nothing happens. I only used the R01-A4.cap file and renamed it to RCVBOOT.CAP on a formatted to FAT32 USB

• Juanm2592

Tinkerer

Options

Update, tried all 3 bios versions available. R01-A1 and R01-A3 make the computer reboot over and over. R01-A4 doesnt reboot the computer so assuming that is the correct Bios. How long does it usually take to reflash the BIOS? Should I just leave it on for a couple of hours as the display isnt working? Also on the Acer website there is a Firmware download with the rom file Roadster_V102_0604.bin should I try this one instead?

• Juanm2592

Tinkerer

Options

Bump help please

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,892 Trailblazer
    Options

Have you tried reseating the GPU card? You bought the unit used, so there's a chance the GPU has been swapped out with a different type. What's in it now? IIRC the PO3-640 models came with several different NVIDIA GPUs originally:

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Juanm2592

Tinkerer

Options

Hello billsey, yes I tried that multiple times and tried with the GPU not connected also. IT has a 3070 that I plugged into my computer and worked perfectly.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,892 Trailblazer
    Options

Yes, a 3070 is very likely what came with it, so that's good. The two short beeps indicates a CMOS checksum error as shown in Steven's post. You have done everything typically done to try and reset the BIOS/CMOS to defaults without success. Has the system ever worked for you? I wonder if someone tried forcing a BIOS load of something non-standard and decided to sell the system rather than getting it fixed after they screwed it up… If that's the case the fix is going to be to reprogram the chip, and that is typically handled in a service center.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.