Orion 3000 PO3-650 RAM Upgrade Does the motherboard require very specific RAM?

klbcolt
klbcolt Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in Predator Desktops

This desktop came with 2x8GB DDR5 4800 sticks. There are 4 slots so I bought 2 more sticks with the same specs, but after installing them the desktop kept rebooting even before I could get into the CMOS. As what I bought was from a different manufacturer, I tried removing the original RAM and put in 4 sticks of the new memory but that didn't work either. Is there some trick to upgrading this desktop? Does the motherboard require very specific RAM?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,426 Trailblazer

Hi,

Could you please post the name and model number of the new RAM modules.

• klbcolt

Tinkerer

TeamGroup Elite DDR5 "on-die ECC" TPBD58G4800HC40BK 8GB 1Rx8 CL40-40-40-77

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,434 Trailblazer

The below list is the suggested memory that you should fit to the PO3-650 desktop as per Acer SG. When you upgrade ram, its p[referable to match the exact manufacturer and spec to the ram that Acer fitted to your desktop. Install CPUz and see the manufacturer and part number the ram and try to match the 2x 8GB DDR5-4800MHz ram that you have, as allot of times adding different manufacturers ram can be cause the problems that you are having.

The highlighted 8GB modules below is the RAM that you should be adding to the OEM Acer fitted RAM 2x8GB DDR5-4800MHz types on your PO3-650 desktop:

• klbcolt

Tinkerer

Hi, thank you for the list of supported RAM. According to CPUZ the manufacturer of the original RAM is A-Data and the part number matches what is in the table above. However, even the ADATA site doesn't have that part number (and they say all their DRAM start with the letters AD and not AM).

I've looked for the exact match and couldn't find it, which is why I bought RAM that I thought was compatible. Does anyone know where I can buy an exact match? If not, does anyone know why the RAM I bought doesn't work even if I replace the original RAM with four of the new RAM?

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,426 Trailblazer

I couldn't find any information about the new RAM modules you have bought, could you please install the original working RAM modules, download and install CPU-z, run it and post the pictures of Memory tab & SPD tab.

You have bought "On-die ECC RAM modules", it may have caused the problem, you should have bought Non-ECC modules, in my opinion, like the one in the link below.

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

https://www.kingston.com/unitedkingdom/en/memory/client/ddr5-4800mts-non_ecc-unbuffered-dimm

• klbcolt

Tinkerer

Hi, thank you for the response.

fyi, on-die ECC is a feature of most DDR5 and is not the same as system ECC. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR5_SDRAM#Features

Here's a link where I bought the new RAM:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BC8QBWHY

Below are the pics you requested from CPUZ:

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,401 Trailblazer

I don't see any obvious issues either. With just two sticks of the new memory installed in the same slots as the original memory used, does it give the long beep message at the beginning of POST that bad memory should? If it goes into a reboot cycle, how far into POST does it seem to get, or is it after the splash screen goes away normally before the reboot happens?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JimboJo
    JimboJo Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

did this issue get solved?
    I’ve just bought a P03-650 (i7-4070) and it comes with 16GB . I’m looking to bump it to 32 , I found this post and noted the Kingston beast 4800’s are compatible but I can’t find any that exist with those part numbers ect.. but there are 4800 beasts on the Kingston site

surely any DDR5 4800 desktop configured ram modules should work here?

I definitely don’t want to buy ram that won’t work? Why is it so hard , seen a few posts around the internet with the same issues here.

• billsey

Here are the memory specs for your Predator PO3-650 (BTW, it's PO as in Predator Orion, not P0 as in Predator Zero):

As you can see they don't bring up the support for XMP overclocking. The 3000 series do not have overclocking in the BIOS, unlike the 5000 and 7000 series. In the past (DDR4) if you put XMP memory in the overall speed would drop to the base speed of the memory. With DDR5 the base speed of the memory is supposed to be correct already, so any 4800MHz DDR5 U-DIMMs should work.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • klbcolt

Tinkerer

Hi, I ordered a 16 GB Kingston kit from Amazon and plugged the two boards into the two empty slots. The PC booted correctly and shows 32GB total. I still don't understand what I bought the first time didn't work, but these did and I'm content now. 😊

Kit: KCP548US6K2 - 16

• billsey

As with anything else, sometimes there are just bad ones…

• Twindad
    Twindad Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

I just ordered this because I have 0 ram right now and when I did put ram in it would not load up a screen .. is this what yours did ? And it says you have 32 gig you have 4 of these ?

• klbcolt

Tinkerer

My rig came with 16GB and I added 16GB to make a total of 32GB. Note that the cards do NOT go into adjacent slots. Please read the motherboard documentation to know which of the 4 slots your 2 cards need to be inserted.

• Elmorongas
    Elmorongas Member Posts: 10 New User

I think all 4 slots on the PO3-650 motherboard are the same size...isn't it.

slot 1 and2 are full with 2x8gb and slot 3 and 4 are free for another 2x8gb.

so where else you was putting your 2x8gb in this motherboard,

can you explain me please…!!!

• billsey

Look at the slot numbering on the motherboard itself. I believe they are numbered 1, 3, 2, 4 and need to be populated as below:

If you are installing four identical modules it doesn't make any difference, but if installing only one or two modules you do want them in the correct sockets.

• Elmorongas

yes, thats what I believe too...so when I took 4x8gb its for each slot the same,

so it doesn't matter in which slot you are putting them,

cause in each slot sits a 8gb ram...it must be so for my understanding :)

anyway, may be I am wrong with my idea...!!!

• Elmorongas

may be i also buy the same kingdom ram like klbcolt was doing,

but there a point were you must select a konfiguration,

i have no idea what it means, but i dont like to change wrong.

i post here a photo from what i mean okay...thanks...!!!!

• Elmorongas

i want to buy 2x8gb...!!!

• billsey

When I go to the Kingston site, and enter the PO3-650 model number, they offer several options:

You want the first of those, two 8GB DIMMs.