Acer C27 -1655 Help needed with screen issue there is constant interference/flickering.

Options
Bumbleb43
Bumbleb43 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in All-In-One PCs

I have an Acer C27 -1655 All in one PC and my screen has suddenly gone crazy - though you cannot tell from the still pic - there is constant interference/flickering, and the bottom icons have disappeared due to the thin green stripe across the top and there is a large fuzzy strip down the left hand side. Advice and help. Bought July 2022 Initially this problem seemed to correct itself after a few seconds - but this is now constant! HELP!

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and add issue detail]

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, that is a sign there is a hardware issue with the internal screen. It can't be a driver problem because Windows isn't loaded when in the BIOS screen, so it's not using the Windows drivers at all.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• JimboTheWindowsFreak
    JimboTheWindowsFreak Member Posts: 67 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options

the Gpu or the monitor settings will be the issue, what is the display resolution? and how long have you had this monitor?

• Bumbleb43

Tinkerer

Options

It is an Acer all-in-one - not a separate monitor - bought July 2022 - issue started about 2 weeks ago :(

• JimboTheWindowsFreak
    Options

Ah for these aios this could maybe be fixed by just a simple driver update.

• Bumbleb43

Tinkerer

Options

Ah - thank you … not sure how to look for that - but will have a go. Many thanks Jimbo

• Bumbleb43

Tinkerer

Options

Looked in device manager- all Display drivers up to date.. still no fix … no roll back option

• JimboTheWindowsFreak
    Options

Hmmm. try looking at reinstalling windows.

• billsey
    Options

First of all, go into the BIOS and see if it shows up there as well. If so we have a hardware issue, not a Windows problem. If the BIOS works fine and the artifacts don't show up until you get into Windows then it's much more likely software…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Bumbleb43

Tinkerer

Options

Still no luck with this problem - now worse.
    The only reason I can still use the PC is because I have a second monitor attached which is perfectly fine and stable!
    All drivers up to date.

• billsey
    Options

So, did you go into the BIOS to see if the issue happens there as well? It's going to be tough to diagnose without going through the process…

• Bumbleb43

Tinkerer

Options

billsey : I wasn't confident enough to do that to be honest.
    After speaking to Acer - it would seem to be a hardware issue rather than a software issue - as the PC is working fine and I have total screen stability on my second monitor.
    I have sent them a video of the issue.

• billsey
    Options

So on an Aspire C27-1655 model you enter the BIOS with the DEL key. During POST, when you first start up, press the DEL key and it should go ahead and enter the BIOS. Just get into it to see if the issue is there. If it's not there but is when Windows loads it's a software issue. If the issue is there in the BIOS it is a hardware issue. Pretty simple to test and you can't muck anything up unless you make changes and save them while in the BIOS.

• Bumbleb43

Tinkerer

Options

billsey - I did this but it did not really tell me anything. I have a second screen which is totally stable. even when I duplicate the second screen with full icons and task bar I can work quite happily, while the C27 itself is unworkable. So basically my only option now is to send it away :(
    Initially both screens were stable but after a a minute or two the main PC started the horizontal interference then the display move to the right and down as shown here on the pic.
    I have contacted Acer and sent the videos and pictures of the problem.

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, that is a sign there is a hardware issue with the internal screen. It can't be a driver problem because Windows isn't loaded when in the BIOS screen, so it's not using the Windows drivers at all.

• Bumbleb43

Tinkerer

Options

billsey - thank you - that makes me feel much better about taking it to be repaired at the Acer centre.

Strangely, today left it on while busy doing other things, when I ‘woke it up’ from sleep mode… the PC screen was perfectly stable 🙄 it drives me mad. Fingers crossed 🤞 they can sort it.

• billsey
    Options

I wonder if the issue isn't heat related, but whatever it is they should get it sorted for you.

• Bumbleb43

Tinkerer

Options

I will certainly let you know… I am dropping it off at Tewksbury on the way down to Southampton on Thursday.

Keeping my fingers crossed 🤞 it isn’t too expensive.

• Bumbleb43

Tinkerer

Options

Wow!!! What can I say about speaking to Acer Customer Service….. totally appalling! - well one particular man was anyway!

After I was led to believe (by a very nice man) that as my unit is out of Warranty, and I do not have the original packaging or indeed a suitable box - that I could drop off my PC at Tewskbury myself - he even sent me their address!
    I then received an email to say this was not possible, so I rang them this morning and spoke to an extremely rude and patronising man, who aggravated and upset me beyond belief! 🤬
    I am so glad that they record their telephone calls, and I have written asking them to review the call.
    Consequently - I have cancelled any transaction through them, and in the future will re-think buying Acer Products!
    Luckily, I can deal directly with the repair centre as it is out of warranty - AND drop it off!

• Bumbleb43

Tinkerer

Options

Another chapter in the screen saga….
    I dropped my machine off over a week ago in Tewksbury, (4hr drive) and paid my £42 assessment fee the next day, as the lady on reception couldn't take it…
    In the meantime - brought up a slightly lower spec - but same model Acer from my son's office to my home office and worked quite happily on that… then noticed a slight glitch with this one😕 my son recommended buying a better quality HDMI which I did and nothing has happened since.
    He also did suggest prior to driving down to Tewksbury trying my PC with out the second monitor (detaching cables) but of course I didn't listen to him!!!
    I now have an estimate for £390 (less the original £42) for the replacement of a new screen.
    My dilemma/question is - was the HDMI just a bit of a coincidence, and surely the Acer engineers know their stuff and it actually does need a new screen…..?!?!

NB Within the estimate the actual screen is £205 + vat so I don't feel ripped of with labour charges

• billsey
    Options

The builtin screen doesn't use an HDMI cable, so replacing the cable does not affect it.