Acer Predator Helios Neo 16 PHN16-71 Shuttering/Lagging in Battery Mode

Options
Xinecraft
Xinecraft Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in Predator Laptops

Hi,

I bought this new laptop a month ago and it started shuttering when I do basic things in Battery mode like watching videos, browsing, etc.

I hang for about 500ms to 1 second and it happens every 10-15 seconds randomly after some time of use. It's frustrating and it's random and causing issues. (Eg: I try to right click and try refresh and if it hang on that moment it click on something else)

It hangs everything (video, mouse movement etc, typing) and feels like something with display.

If anyone has this problem plz help. Thanks.

Laptop: Acer Predator Helios Neo 16 PHN16-71

PS. I have the latest version of everything.

Updated every bit of software/bois and everything to latest, still not help.

I have also tried switching to Performance mode and other things in battery still nothing.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and add issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,731 Trailblazer
    Options

PS. I have the latest version of everything.

Did you apply any optional Windows updates?

Did you apply any generic updates from the Intel or nVidia download centers instead of the proprietary mainboard Intel or nVidia updates from Acer downloads ?

Jack E/NJ

• Xinecraft

Tinkerer

Options

I think Windows automatically installed latest. But which one should I reinstalled?

VGA Driver(UMA) or VGA Driver

• JackE
    Options

No. Click the load more button in this Acer downloads page to reveal all the integrated & discrete graphics drivers.

Jack E/NJ

• rahsut
    rahsut Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Any update on this? facing same issue

• JackE
    Options

If no response, try the Acer-flavored Intel or nVidia GPU driver updates at this link.

Jack E/NJ

• Xinecraft

Tinkerer

edited December 2023
    Options

UPDATE:
    The issue continues to exist even after:

1. Formatting to Factory Settings wiping everything out.
    2. Continue to exist even after defaulting back to GPU Driver from the Acer site. Both Intel & NVidia

The Acer Support team is as clueless as I am so no help from there too.

MADE HUGE MISTAKE BUYING ACER LAPTOP!

HOW TO FIX? It's simple → Don't buy this laptop. Go for ASUS Strix or Zeph. Had that laptop before this [Content Removed] and never experienced an issue like this EVER!

[Edited the thread to hide sensitive information]

• JackE
    Options

Formatting to Factory Settings wiping everything out.

(1) What was Acer OEM factory-installed operating system when you first bought the machne?

(2) Did you use the ALT+F10 factory reset method to reinstall it from the hidden ACER OEM factory recovery partition?

Jack E/NJ

• Jarudet
    Jarudet Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Did you turn off battery boost 2.0 in Nvidia GeForce Experience?

• Xinecraft

Tinkerer

Options

No it's Enabled just like default. Should I turn it off?

• JackE
    Options

Formatting to Factory Settings wiping everything out.

(1) What was Acer OEM factory-installed operating system when you first bought the machine?

(2) Did you use the ALT+F10 factory reset method to reinstall it from the hidden ACER OEM factory recovery partition?

Jack E/NJ

• Xinecraft

Tinkerer

Options

Update for those who looking for solution.

Nothing helps. Its getting worse. If you hard reset it stop maybe for few hour and then happen again.

I have just given up and just hoping to not make wrong purchase again in future.

• JackE
    Options

If you hard reset it stop maybe for few hour and then happen again.

This is a classic errant Windows update symptom. Did you turn on System Protection in Control Panel's restore point app immediately after resetting to help identify the update that might be causing the problem.

Better yet the reset should be done offline with a local account. Then System Protection enabled and the restore point storage cache set to a maximum. Further, online access should be set to a metered connection so you have better control over if or when updates are installed.

Jack E/NJ

• vsairam1994
    vsairam1994 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi All found the fix for this issue , looks like too many temp files are present in my system , purchase 2 months ago,

Solution : Call customer care , for India these are the numbers : 1-800-11-4100 https://www.acer.com/in-en/support/contact-acer/service-contact

Call them , they will tell you step by step procedure to clear all the temp files

Eg: deleting through %temp%, AppData files etc

After this is done my system picked up speed

• Muhil
    Muhil Member Posts: 498 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited February 7
    Options

@Xinecraft do u see the gpu idling when the lag is occuring or is it turned on ? check the predator sense

• Kritik09
    Kritik09 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I am having the same issue have tried many things but none worked.
    It is lagging (screen freeze) for a second in an interval of 10 to 15 sec continuously while running on battery power.

If someone has rectified this issue please reply

• Muhil
    Muhil Member Posts: 498 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

@Kritik09 is it lagging even when charging ?

• Kritik09
    Kritik09 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
  • puzzlehead
    puzzlehead Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I'm facing the same issue with the same model. WTF Acer???? Is this a faulty model or something?

I can't even watch videos anymore without freezing or my video driver crashing, have tried everything.

If anyone finds a solution please share

• JackE
    Options

Try replacing the battery.

Jack E/NJ