Acer Aspire v5 122p Bios Firmware & is it possible to get some official older BIOS versions?

Options
JoJu
JoJu Member Posts: 4 New User
edited October 2023 in Acer Software

Hello, is it possible to get some official older BIOS versions? My BIOS is at 2.02 but i need at least 2.06 for the available BIOS versions:

Downloadable versions (the same for each version in the drop down)

###################

My BIOS Version (through powershell)

###################

Error message, if i try to start 2.10 or 2.12 (2.06 seems to be a critical and importand update)

###################

I know, that a BIOS update can be dangerous but on the other hand it is important … would not be there if it would not be necessary 😅

Hope that someone can help :)

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• JoJu
    Answer ✓
    Options

It is sad, that the official ACER website does not have the older BIOS files … official source material is much more trustworthy 😅

How did it go?

The BIOS files (2.03-2.06) fromhttps://www.helpdrivers.com/notebooks/Acer/Aspire_Ultra-thin/Aspire_V5-122P/ did not work, but never the less, it was worth trying :)

As you can see, i needed an "angel" version (for this little devil :D ) but the downloaded version was V4DA2, mybe they have mixed something up:

####################

####################

####################

If i tried to jump directly to the 2.06 version and get an error (do not know, if i had the right 2.06 version):

####################

####################

####################

In the end i tested some more driver pages (in hope, that the system would prevent some false version).

This page has the right historical drivers https://drivers.plus/de/?ep_filter_types=bios&ep_filter_category=bios&ep_filter_brands=acer&s=122p+bios

I got from 2.02 → 2.04 | 2.04 → 2.06 | 2.06 → 2.12 (2.12 from official acer)

Sadly, the BIOS update did not remove the graphic problem, 2sec normal working, 1sec freeze, 2sec normal working, 1sec freeze … (if you let windwows manage the graphic driver or get the newest from the official page). The workaround is, that you install the VGA driver from the acer page or switch to the previous driver.

case closed :)

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,980 Trailblazer
    edited October 2023
    Options

Your bios chip should flash from its current and earlier Version 2.02 that you have to the last V5-122P bios Version 2.12! BE VERY CAREFUL as a 10 years old laptop like you have, its old bios chips could be faulty and on its way out, and flashing it, can brick the chip and you will need to either reprogram the bios chip or get a new bios chip all together. Be aware, that the first sign of a faulty bios chip is the errors that you are getting as ithe chip is on its way out and will fail if you flash this chip too many times further.

Note: there is a site called HelpDrivers Aspire V5-122P Drivers but I take NO RESPONSIBILITY if their bios files will brick your laptop, or the bios files from this site are not faulty! As HelpDrivers have the following bios Versions: 2.03-2.04-2.06-2.07-2.08-2.09-2.10-2.12, good luck and hope this helps you out, let me know how you go.

• JoJu
    Answer ✓
    Options

It is sad, that the official ACER website does not have the older BIOS files … official source material is much more trustworthy 😅

How did it go?

The BIOS files (2.03-2.06) fromhttps://www.helpdrivers.com/notebooks/Acer/Aspire_Ultra-thin/Aspire_V5-122P/ did not work, but never the less, it was worth trying :)

As you can see, i needed an "angel" version (for this little devil :D ) but the downloaded version was V4DA2, mybe they have mixed something up:

####################

####################

####################

If i tried to jump directly to the 2.06 version and get an error (do not know, if i had the right 2.06 version):

####################

####################

####################

In the end i tested some more driver pages (in hope, that the system would prevent some false version).

This page has the right historical drivers https://drivers.plus/de/?ep_filter_types=bios&ep_filter_category=bios&ep_filter_brands=acer&s=122p+bios

I got from 2.02 → 2.04 | 2.04 → 2.06 | 2.06 → 2.12 (2.12 from official acer)

Sadly, the BIOS update did not remove the graphic problem, 2sec normal working, 1sec freeze, 2sec normal working, 1sec freeze … (if you let windwows manage the graphic driver or get the newest from the official page). The workaround is, that you install the VGA driver from the acer page or switch to the previous driver.

case closed :)