Acer AZ3-715-UR51 won't update Bios From R01-A2 to R02.A0 When in Windows

Options
TinkerG
TinkerG Member Posts: 2 New User

I am trying to update my Bios from R01-A2 to the R02.A0 so I can use a Kabylake processor. When I run the Flash BIOS using the FLASH.bat file, the command windows pop up and it says it's flashing the ROM but when it's complete, the windows just close. It doesn't prompt a restart or anything. What do I need to do? Thank you!

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

As stated on the drivers page, you can't upgrade from R01 to R02, they are for different motherboards. The R01 is for the 6th gen motherboard, the R02 is for the 7th gen motherboards. Neither motherboard supports both generations of chips.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • TinkerG
    TinkerG Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

That does not make sense why ACER did that. I cannot even find a part number for the 7th gen motherboard anywhere. I did find out that the 6th gen motherboard will accept 32GB of RAM without an issue as well as a solid state hard drive with 4TB of storage. If anyone knows the part number for the 7th gen board, I would appreciate it! I updated the heatsink setup and wiring for an additional fan with no problem. It runs like a totally different PC with just the upgrades I've done so far.

ACER please note on the BIOS page that there are separate motherboards. At this time it just says you cannot upgrade from one to the other. Other manufacturers do this so you upgrade BIOS in a certain order for whatever reason. All you have to put on there is "7th gen motherboard ONLY" & "6th gen motherboard ONLY".

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    edited October 2023
    Options

Here is the 6th gen info:

BOARD MAIN DB.B2Y11.001 MAINBOARD BRISTOL_2 INTEL H110 SKY LAKE NVIDIA GPU GT 940M 2G-DDR3 (256164) REALTEK RTL8111GA PROPRIETARY LF BRISTOL_2 WIH110 GPU SKYLAKE

And the 7th gen:

BOARD MAIN DB.B7W11.001 MAINBOARD ASPIRE Z24-780 INTEL H110 KABY LAKE REALTEK RTL8111GA PROPRIETARY LF BRISTOL_2 WIH110 UMA KABY LAKE

Note that there are actually two versions of each, depending on GPU.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.