Acer Aspire x3200 wont boot BIOS message says reset CPU clock in BIOS

ploppy
ploppy Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited September 2023 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

Hope you clever people can help, I have an Acer Aspire X3200, old I know but does the job, well it stopped booting this morning all I hear is the fan running very fast. So tried to boot to BIOS no such luck. Well reset BIOS CMOS by removing battery etc., now it will boot into BIOS ONCE, if I change anything at all and save and exit next boot is to black screen, cant get back to BIOS, until I reset again the CMOS. Also when I do get to the BIOS not sata or hard drives are seen in the config. Power supplies look OK, tested with multi meter and when looking in BIOS all are within tolerance. Strange affair, has the BIOS CMOS gone kaput and help would be appreciated. Have removed all memory and drives just to check made no difference, when it does boot to BIOS message says reset CPU clock in BIOS but there doesnt seem to be any method to do this.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and add issue detail]

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

Remove ALL power and all cables from the desktop, and press and hold the power button for 30 seconds or more. Plug power back in to the desktop and see if the computer will power on

• Larryodie

If that doesn't work, REMOVE THE BATTERY and power cord and do the same holding the power button for 30 seconds or more. You'll have to reset the clock.

Next step is to remove battery and power and let sit overnight

• ploppy

Tinkerer

Larryodie, did that exactly the same result, booted first time to bios, all voltages seen OK, no hard drives seen. Rebooted without changing anything booted to bios OK. Then updated date/time saved via F10 rebooted black screen did not boot into bios even after hitting del key, shutdown via power switch restarted, then fan runs at high speed and nothing on screen. Looks like cmos or whatever has taken a turn for the worst what do you think. Your help is truly appreciated.

• Larryodie

DID you remove the CMOS battery and unplug the power cable , OVERNIGHT ??

If so, I don't know,

• ploppy

Tinkerer

yes, I did exactly as suggested but the fault is just as described. Whenever I reset the cmos it will boot to bios, but no hdd seen, after updating bios with anything it then fails to boot at all. I fear the write and update of cmos has gone up the Swanny. I have tried to find a schematic and timing diagram without any luck, if you have any idea where I can find these that would be most appreciated

• Larryodie

Does your DVD show in the BIOS ?

Maybe it is your hard drive ??

• Larryodie

I'm wondering if you have REPLACED the battery ???

I see a mother board for about $25 plus shipping on EBAY but check the part #.

• ploppy

Tinkerer

no DVD nor HDD a show up, I have put a new battery, perhaps it’s time to purchase that motherboard, but, I just hoped it was something simplistic, it’s the issue with the writing to CMOS which I fear is a signifier but without schematic or timings could prove a finger in the air to fix

• ploppy

Tinkerer

just to update in case the devices were clogging the bus I disconnected both, same effect, removed ram and installed one at a time exactly the same effect. Perhaps I will firstly try another battery cos who knows

• Larryodie
    edited September 2023

One last thing is to check your 12V out of the PS.

I'd also be aware of the age of your X3200 and maybe looking at a new or refurbished unit.