Adding a discreet GPU to the Aspire TC-1770? There are no specifications in the manual online

Options
Donald_S
Donald_S Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

I am interested in the Acer Aspire TC-1770 but cannot get an answer about whether you can add a graphics card to the system or not. I know space is limited and the PSU is only 300W, but that's enough for a low end card. There are no specifications in the manual online, and chatting with Acer they didn't know. Anyone have any idea?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,824 Pathfinder
    Options

@Donald_S the best GPU you can get for the 300W power supply is the GTX1650 without the power connector. Otherwise, you will need to upgrade the power supply with higher wattage to handle a better GPU.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Donald_S

Tinkerer

Options

@AnhEZ28

Thank you so much for the quick response. I know I'm looking at a low end GPU without updating the PSU. But is there space in the system to add one at all? I could not figure that out, and Acer (weirdly enough) did not know.

• themero
    themero Member Posts: 49 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited September 2023
    Options

actually the best gpu you could get is the RTX A2000 , its on a par with the RTX 3050 but only uses a max 75w. only trouble is it costs almost twice the price of a 3050 new !

• AnhEZ28
    Options

@Donald_S

You can use a ruler or measuring tape to measure the space's length and compare it with the GPU that you are going to buy. I think it should be fine with a single-fan GPU but unsure about the dual-fan ones.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
  • Donald_S

Tinkerer

Options

@AnhEZ28

Again thank you for the quick response. The problem is, I don't have the computer yet so I can't measure anything. I don't want to buy it, find out I can't put a GPU in it and have to pay $150 in return shipping and restocking.

Themero, thanks for that tip I will check out the card, 75w is really reasonable.

• AnhEZ28
    Options

Here is the in-depth image that I took from the TC-1760 customer review. It should fit a single fan GPU

• Donald_S

Tinkerer

Options

@AnhEZ28

Thank you so much, that's really helpful. Have a great day.

• themero
    Options

Ok Donald I've put a ruler along the side so you can see the length of the gtx 1650 ( which is in mine . Also I put in a better CPU cooler cause the stock one is as much use as an empty soda can lol

• Donald_S

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks Thermero, that's helpful.

Based on what you and @AhnEZ28 had to say I've gone ahead and ordered the TC-1770. It seems like a great combination of storage, memory and reasonably decent speed for under $700. Add a GPU and it's still under $900.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

Be aware that some models of the TC-1770 have a 180W supply, not the 300W. Check before ordering to make sure yours has the larger supply already.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • themero
    Options

And remember even a 300w PSU pretty much limits you to a 75w or less GPU. A 500w supply would give you more options , personally I'm trying to decide between an RTX 3050 or an RX 6600 at the minute . Both draw about 120-130w and would be a nice upgrade to the 1650.

• 1770hno
    1770hno Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Well, I am in the same boat. I bought a 1770 and it was fine until I tried to drive a TCL smart TV with it. It won't handle full screen streaming Youtube. I thought it might be RAM so I bumped it up to 32gigs. That seemed to solve things for about an hour or two, but then I got flickering screen, video and audio cut-outs. Next bright idea is to add a video card, and a GTX 1650 sounds about right, but I would need a bigger power supply. I have never done that, change the power supply that is. What do I need to consider? Size? Compatibility? Wattage?

• Donald_S

Tinkerer

Options

A GTX1650 or a a GTX1050ti will run just fine without changing the power supply. There are a number of GPUs that will run with 75W. Also, the most important thing in terms of fitting is the height of the card. I put a GTX 1050ti in my case that is about 9" long. There is room under the bracket to fit a longer card with a little finagling. But it can't be too tall.

• rm31859
    rm31859 Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

The reason acer won't tell you anything is because they don't support upgrades.I ran into this when I asked about adding a DVD drive. They wouldn't even tell me the model number of the correct drive or even how to install one. All the tech was they don't support upgrades and if I put one it myself I would void the warranty. It would have to be done by your local computer company. That's about $75.00. Keep that in mind.

• billsey
    Options

Warranties are different in each locale, so voiding the warranty by adding a device is supported in some countries and not in others. In the US at least, it doesn't void your warranty to install a optical drive.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • rm31859
    rm31859 Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

I'm sorry, I should have clarified that. What the tech told me was that if I installed the DVD drive myself that it would void the warranty. It's alright to have a drive installed, it just has to be done by a professional computer technician.

• billsey
    Options

Nope, that's almost never the case. If the warranty is such that opening the case yourself voids the warranty, then only an authorized technician can be used, which means a trip to the Acer repair depot, not just any professional. Usually when someone is giving you that line it's because they know how easy it is to add a DVD and they just don't want you to do it yourself. Check with Acer support to find out what the warranty requirements actually are.