12400F upgrade to 12600KF Mobo B660 Acer po3-640 is there any hidden obsticals to upgrade

Options
Cyberepix
Cyberepix Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited September 2023 in Predator Desktops

since the KF lack onboard graphics and are equal or faster than the 12700F plus 30% cheaper,
also draws less power ca 30w. is there any hidden obsticals to upgrade

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,941 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you were really going to upgrade the CPU I'd got with an i7-12700F or an i9-12900F. No issues with TDP or K features.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Options

Yes, you are going to run into two big hurdles with that… The first is heat dissipation, the stock CPU has a TDP of 65W, the KF 125W, so you are looking at twice the heat. That means a hefty change to the cooling system. The other hurdle is actually using the K features. The stock BIOS assumes you don't have a K chip, since Acer doesn't ship any models with one, so none of the features are enabled. We typically don't suggest CPU upgrades in any case, they are seldom with the cost. Deal with storage, memory, cooling and GPU first.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Cyberepix

Tinkerer

Options

Thx Billsey. but ave already upgraded ram to 80GB 2x32 crucial 3200mhz cl22, and kept kept the kingston 2x8 2933mhz cl22, RAM running @2933Mhz atm, just running the 2 32GB it will run on 3200Mhz since they are dual rank and the stock is just single rank, and for cooling ive installed a noctua 9u also used the old stock cpu cooler as the rear fan since it has a slightly higher rpm, moved the old rear fan to the top to get more airflow in, put the frontfan on a separater channel from sata power. also put a new m2 drive in wd 770 black R/W speed upp to 5GB moved the m2 2210 micron to second slot R/W speed up to 2.1GB
    temps when running a game, also heavy multitasking. usally iam running 3-4 chromepages, some HW monitor, Predatorsens is on auto aswell, and plex is always running on 1 on the 3 screens,

cpu <55Degree C, fan speed on auto, around 500rpm
    gpu 4060 ti < 60 degree C fanspeed around 70% 2700rpm
    system <30 degree C fanspeed front fan 2400rpm rearfan around 70% 2500rpm topfan around 60% 2100

system powerconsumption atm peaks at 397-418W 10% OC on GPU

what do u think would i be able just specwise to use a 12600 KF since its a much more potent cpu, the 12400 is my bottleneck atm
    cheers mate =)

• themero
    themero Member Posts: 49 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options

I'd stick with 12700 and spend money on a better GPU ( GPU is a bigger factor in gaming than CPU ), plus if you have mixed memory it will only run at the speed of the slowest pair , so 3200 + 2933 will all run at 2933 .

• themero
    themero Member Posts: 49 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options

your board is the biggest bottleneck , CPU will probably be locked at 86w like my 12400 , plus the vrm ( power supply to CPU ) is pathetic , it can't keep supplying the CPU with enough power to run at full speed .

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you were really going to upgrade the CPU I'd got with an i7-12700F or an i9-12900F. No issues with TDP or K features.

• Cyberepix

Tinkerer

edited September 2023
    Options

thx billsey and themero,

ran a butload of test in the 12400 yesti and the ***** thing throttels at 75w even when the temp is below 50 deegres, also max Mhz i was able to squeeze from it was was 3994Mhz
    so iam guessing i need to look for a cpu with a tdp of 65w or lower with a better base clockspeed to get a little better performance,
    and yes indeed, better to build ur own system, but got my hands on this one pretty cheap,

thx for all the input, learned alot.
    cheers mates.