PT315-53. Integrated monitor stuck on maximum brightness; any suggestions?

joshua_batson
joshua_batson Member Posts: 10 New User
edited September 2023 in Predator Laptops

Hey,

I'm unable to adjust the brightness of the integrated monitor (which is
stuck on the maximum setting) on my ACER Triton 300; model number - PT315-53.

PROBLEM START

After installing a clean copy of WIndows 10 (22h2), I realised that I was unable to adjust the brightness of the monitor. After failing to resolve the issue, I tried rolling back to an earlier version of Windows 10 (21h2), but the problem remained.

I then tried multiple clean installs of Windows 22h2; one with automatic updates enabled, and one with automatic updates disabled. However, the problem ensued.

TROUBLESHOOTING

In addition to the aforementioned, I've also attempted the following (and probably a few other's I can't remember):

> Using the latest Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU drivers
> Using older drivers Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU drivers
> Using OEM supplied Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU drivers
> Modifying power plans
> Changing brightness using the function keys
> Changing brightness via the 'Settings' panel
> Changing brightness via the 'Notifications' panel
> Enabling/Disabling adaptive brightness
> Changing the Intel CPU driver to 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter'
> Changing the monitor (in device manager) to 'Generic PnP display'
> Disabling the CPU, GPU and monitor drivers (independently of each other)
> Modifying the 'FeatureTestControl' entry in the registry ** to have a value of fb20

** found under - Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

I've also recieved assistance from Tech Support at Intel, but as I'm sure you've gathered from my post, no resolution was found.

It may very well be a hardware related issue, but before I even consider replacing any components, I want to explore any avenues I may have missed.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be most grateful.

.. and on a side note.

Why on earth are the BIOS options on this laptop so limited? - Honestly, it's comparable to a restaurant exclusively selling tap water 🤷‍♂️

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Simonics
    Simonics Member Posts: 77 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

I tend to avoid adaptive brightness. Can have issues.

Is brightness on max when unplug AC Adapter?

2 things you could try…

Software battery reset - Unplug the AC power adapter. Press and hold the Power button down for 15 seconds. [May be good to undo changes you made first].

Update keyboard driver

Hope this helps.

• joshua_batson

Hey Simonics,

Kudos for the response.

The option for adaptive brightness doesn't seem to be available, but from what I could gather, its a feature built into Windows and enabled by default. However, there is a command which can be entered via the 'Command Prompt' to disable it, but in my case, doing this made no difference.

The brightness is stuck on max regardless of whether it's plugged in, or not.

I haven't heard of a software battery reset, but I'll give it a whirl.

As for the keyboard driver, I'm not entirely sure that would be causing an issue, given that altering the brightness slider via the 'Settings' panel makes absolutely no difference. But it may be worth giving it a shot.

Will keep you posted.

• Simonics

Another few thoughts…

Check out your GPU and gaming utility software settings.

Also, sometimes G-SYNC or AMD equivalent can do funny things to screen related behaviour. Try switching off.

Have you updated your BIOS? That caused all kinds of screen issues for me.

Also, to avoid odd conflicts, empty contents of temp folders…..

In search bar type %TEMP% - In folder Ctrl+ A selects all, Then Shift + delete bypasses recycle bin

Do same for TEMP, PREFETCH [Need click 'continue' to open]

Hope this helps

• Simonics

Note - when empty Temp folders one or two items may not delete - so just skip those items

• joshua_batson
    edited September 2023

Tried the software battery reset, but it made no difference.

EDIT 001 - I regularly delete the contents of the 'TEMP' folder - although, 'PREFETCH' is a new one - but alas, neither made any difference.

EDIT 002 - Yes, the BIOS firmware is the latest one available, i.e. v1.14.

The only GPU related software installed is the 'NVIDIA Control Panel', which doesn't have any options to modify the display because that's dictated by the integrated GPU, i.e. the Intel CPU. This is further controlled by the 'Intel Graphics Command Center', which lacks any options to modify screen brightness.

Interestingly enough, I had a similar experience with a Razer Blade 17 (2021 edition) [it was a work laptop], whereby the screen would randomly go black, or get stuck on low brightness. There was extensive finger pointing from both NVIDIA and Razer as to who should adopt responsibility for the problem, but after the lovers tiff came to a close (yes, yes, you're both trerrible), a string of updates were released - a BIOS and GPU driver (if I recall correctly) - and the problem was solved.

However, I later experienced an issue whereby the brightness was stuck on max, and it was only after I discovered an online article that revealed the location of unobvious Intel context menu, that granted me access to a brightness slider that worked; or rather, seemingly replaced the functionality of the default slider in Windows.

The reason I went to Intel before Acer is because of the aforementioned, and honestly, part of me is still convinced it's a driver issue, but it's looking more and more like I'll need to pop the laptop open and check the ribbon cable for any potential damage.

Onwards and upwards, eh? 🤡

• Simonics
    edited September 2023

Interesting - I don't have same PC as you, but on my laptop, I have Nvidia GeForce Experience that updates drivers amongst other things. This app has settings. Now, on my laptop, there is an update waiting Vn 537.34 Rel 12 Sept 23 Game Ready driver that includes GeForce experience etc if you don't have it. On Nvidia site there are also studio drivers geared for complex design, which is not really for us I suspect, though they can be changed interchangeably. Windows Device manager no longer is relevant for dealing with graphics drivers. Nvidia drivers have changed. I suggest going online to Nvidia site and downloading the appropriate driver.

I am looking at what my graphics card is running, via GeForce Experience, and it says my laptop display, and attached monitor, as well as a number of apps. I always understood the main GPU took over from CPU integrated GPU on a PC, so main GPU should have control over displays.

When you install the Nvidia driver, download it, and run it from your desktop. No need to uninstall previous drivers, as it is all done automatically.

Hope this helps.

• It looks like your problem is related to this bios version:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Simonics
    edited September 2023

I forgot to say, Nvidia drivers are being updated very often now - almost once a month or so. I realised Windows updates was not doing the job, as Nvidia had changed the drivers process. Also, that Windows Device manager was now irrelevant to updating Nvidia drivers. Hope this helps.

• It looks like your problem is related to this bios version:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • joshua_batson

@simonics - Looks like I'll have to make an NVIDIA account and see whether the GeForce Experience software contains any additional options.

@egydiocoelho - It may very well be to do with the BIOS, although, I'm on v1.14, and one would hope that Acer have solved any outstanding issues, rather than introduced them. It may also explain the severe lack of options in the 'Advanced' BIOS settings - because who wants options, right?

• Simonics
    edited September 2023

Hi - Installing the driver may actually solve the issue.

Some more info….

Note, the GeForce Experience installs as part of the driver install, along with other bits…see below….

GAME READY + STUDIO DRIVERS ONLINE:
    ⦁ NOTE: Online NVIDIA site = Studio Drvrs for Creative Design, Vid stream + edit, stability, etc + Game Ready Drvrs for game streaming etc.
    ⦁ PC Hardware geared to Studio or Gaming = advanced now eg Studio dials, touch displays, etc
    ⦁ New PCs for Studio, etc very advanced.

Can interchange Studio and Game Ready Drivers.

⦁ INSTALL GAME READY DRIVER = Package includes:
    · [No need uninstall previous vn's - Nvidia does that for you when install new vn's].
    o Graphics Drvr - includes new control panel I think
    o HD Audio Drvr
    o GeForce Experience
    o PhysX Sys Sftwre

• joshua_batson

The GeForce Experience software provides no additional features concerning the display, and the brightness remains stuck at 100%.

At this point, I can only assume it's BIOS, or hardware related, but the liklihood of a firmware update is slim, so I'll have to remove the cover and see if I can find anything untoward.

• Simonics
    edited September 2023

Yeah - I just looked as well.

Did you install latest driver from Nvidia with GeForce Experience included inside it? [There is separate software for GeForce Experience too, but I had issues with install of that one].

[ I also switch controlled folders off during install]

When I had random repeated black screens, and a few other screen behaviours, updating BIOS was helpful, but what solved it was doing the Nvidia account, then downloading latest driver.

Let us know what you find

• joshua_batson

Yes, I downloaded the latest driver via the GeForce Experience software and performed a reboot, but nothing has changed.

I can't help but think that the combination of multiple VGA's, i.e. CPU and GPU, is a boardroom suggestion that would have benefitted from a rolled up magazine to the head 🤷‍♂️

• Simonics

And you restarted a couple of times

• Simonics
    edited September 2023

Just a thought - combining a couple of things:

What happens if you shutdown, unplug power adapter and take the battery out for 15 minutes or so.

Press and hold power button for 15 seconds, just after removing battery.

Then power on with just power adapter.

Then shutdown, unplug power adapter, and put battery back in, and plug in adapter.

• joshua_batson

Yes, I've restarted on multiple occasions, but the problem still remains.

I'll try taking out the battery in a short moment; will get back to you after I'm done 👌

• joshua_batson

@Simonics - Excuse the delay.

I removed the battery, held down the power button for 15 roughly seconds, and then powered it up using the adapter.

I then turned it off, held down the power button for 15 seconds, cleaned the ribbon cable contacts (and the surrounding area) using methylated spirit and a cotton bud; turned it on, but the problem still remains.

There's an Acer Predator Helios 300 in the house, so it may be worth opening that up, or at the very least, sifting through the BIOS to see if there's any notable similarities, or differences that may hint at a possible solution.

Alternatively, it may be worth trying to load an older OS, e.g. Windows 8.1, or an early build of Windows 10, but beyond that, I'm more-or-less out of ideas.

• Simonics

The only other thing I can think of is if you had an app previously installed that took over control of display / the brightness, which would mean putting in the previous app, and re-setting it to let go of control of display / brightness.

Or an antivirus is interfering.

You've already tried power saver plans.

Are Acer Care Center and Acer Quick Access App present and updated? Acer Quick Access App especially controls brightness - that may be the one you need, especially as it takes over levels of brightness, [anti-glare too I think], etc for the screen. They have these Apps on Acer Support site, if you type your model in, though they are most likely for any Acer PC. Thinking about it, this is the most likely scenario. Either the Acer Quick Access App is not present, or out of date with the current OS, and needs updating. Try this first before anything. This seems very likely, and if not, then it is good to eliminate it from the process, by updating it to current version.

Another thought…It happened after a clean install of Win 10 22H2, so that may be the issue. It is possible that with further updates, over time, it may change. I had USB port issues that got resolved due to further updates over time.

Also there are different ways of installing that are more likely to cause glitsches, and other ways that don't. I use a USB stick with MCT downloaded for use on any PC. I then switch off controlled folders, open MCT USB on the desktop, click setup[.exe], and put the internet on when it tells me to. This is the least glitsch way to do it, and allows all apps and layout, most settings, etc to remain. I switch controlled folders back on after. I only wipe a drive to clear underlying data residue, when I use a system image.

Hope this helps - Let me know.

• joshua_batson

Kudos for the additional suggestions; it's much obliged 👌

I'll try a few more thing's, but I'll be surprised if it's anything to do with antivirus software.

Acer Quick Access contains no option to adjust the brightness, and Care Center simply states "Your system is up to date."

Windows 10 is also up to date. However, I've read that other people were unable to change their integrated monitor brightness after automatic updates had been applied - and unfortunately, no update code was provided.

When installing Windows 10 (build 21h2 and 22h2), I let Windows do it's thing, and another time, disabled the internet and installed drivers individually, but the problem remained.

Nonetheless, I'll keep chipping away and let you know if I happen to find any useful information - or fix the issue.