Acer Nitro 50 N50-640-EB14 Firmaware update fail

Options
dona13
dona13 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited September 2023 in Acer Software

I bought an Acer Nitro 50 N50-640-EB14 Gaming Desktop, i7-12700F somewhre in february 2023 and i had two problems from the start: the free bay for harddisk did not have the right holes for screws so i had to improvise for mounting a new HDD and when i first started the computer and installed Windows i got a firmware update proposed but it failed. After a few months on Windows update i got again the firmware update but it failed again. I contacted the Acer support with both issues but they always declined to help. Maybe the community will be able to help with the firmware update. Thank you.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Hello! Can you access the bios and inform the version that is installed?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • dona13
    Options

Using Acer Care Center it says that the BIOS version installed is R01-B1, which seems to be the latest version on the BIOS/Firmware section of the Drivers and Downloads on support web site. But I had a failure message twice at the very end of the firmware update. Should i try to do it again or i better leave it alone as the computer seems to work OK ? Thank you. Obrigado.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Options

The firmware update you are experiencing is likely an update to the EFI image that Windows update is offering. What is the exact error message it gives you? In some instances it's about not enough space on the EFI partition, and that is usually solved by deleting the unneeded font files that are sometimes included.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • dona13
    Options

i will note the messages next time and will put them hre. Thank you

• StevenGen
    Options

Just a word of advice, as allot of users have bricked their PCs with these bios/firmware update, so don't install any Windows Update > Advanced options > Optional updates when they come up! They are usually titled "Insyde Software - Firmware 5.42.1.8" or whatever other numbers they are, as its NOT an official Acer release bios firmware or a gpu firmware for PCs with dedicated gpu's, its very dangerous as it will brick your bios and if its a gpu firmware update then it will brick your gpu also. I've had the titled bios Insyde for over 18 months with Windows Update, and I didn't install it but installed all the Acer official bios and gpu firmware's updates for my laptop and they all work 100% and perfectly with no problems. Install ONLY ACER drivers and bios/firmware's!

• dona13
    Options

Thank you very much for this advice, I will keep it in mind and obey it.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

The firmware provided by Microsoft is exactly the same as that provided by the manufacturer. But I think Microsoft should warn the user about the risk of updating the firmware.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Options

The only issues I've seen with the Windows update firmware loads is sometimes they will change settings from the defaults. Entering the BIOS and doing an F9 to reset and F10 to save and exit deals with that easily.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.