Acer TC-1750-ER11: the USB 3.0 port on front does not work for data

JanAdam
JanAdam Member Posts: 3 New User
edited September 2023 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

Acer TC-1750-ER11: the USB 3.0 port on front does not work for data; charging works ok. USB C just above the failed 3.0, and USB 3.0 at the back are both working just fine. So, I do not think it is a question of drivers but checked them anyway, they are the newest. Device manager shows all USBs are working properly.

I have seen your many posts here on USB problems and have tried most if not all of them related to the software.

I suspect it is the socket for the port that is faulty. I haven't open the box yet to see, but would like to have a spare just in case. Do you know what is the part ID for the front ports? I think they are all coming as a single one unit, aren't they? I feel much more comfortable with software than with hardware, but am not afraid of it.

thank you, Jan

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and add issue detail]

Answers

• JanAdam

Sorry, the failed port is actually USB 3.2 not 3.0

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

I'm not Billsey but are your USB cables the latest., I think that the blue cable should be ok for charge and data but there are rip-offs on the market.

If the socket is bad then it should be visible and repairable if a pin is bent.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

On your TC-1750 the front ports are soldered to the motherboard, so hardware issues are difficult to repair. Electrically they are controlled by the H610 chipset. Here's a snip from the block diagram:

For the data to be corrupt with power still working something in the connection between the H610 and the physical port needs to be wrong. We don't have access to detailed schematics, but I would expect only resistors and capacitors there to set signal levels. That seems to be born out by looking at that area on the MB:

If you are out of warranty it's likely best to just not use that port. If you are in warranty have Acer repair it for you. They will likely swap out the MB…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JanAdam

Thank you Gentlemen!

The cables are fine, I have checked them to start with.

In the meantime I have opened the box and discovered that the front ports are soldered to the MB. So are the back ones. I was tempted to replace the faulty socket (removing the solder with a wick). But being a bit hesitant messing with hardware, I decided to buy USB hub with SD reader; the later I was already planning to get.

I believe that by putting everything on MB Acer made the TC-1750 relatively inexpensive, but at the same time rather difficult to fix, if something goes wrong.

Once again many thanks for your interest and help.

Jan

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

The 'difficult to fix' really came about when systems went to surface mount components instead of through hole. It's much tougher to get stuff off and back on without damage with surface mount, but it's much easier and cheaper to build initially since everything can be automated.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Larryodie

A hot air station is a must for surface mount components. Youtube has instruction videos but practice on junk boards before risking destroying a good board.

Solder Suckers and de-soldering tools became worthless with the change.

Solder Wick is still useful but sometimes a reflow with hot air is the solution.

In your case, a hub was the better solution.

• As a complement, it is necessary to have the electrical diagram of the motherboard and use the multimeter to know what voltages are reaching those pins.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Larryodie
    edited September 2023

USB testers are like $4