Aspire TC 780A error in the smart detection - update BIOS or replace hard drive or PC?

amateur
amateur Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited September 2023 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

My Aspire TC 780A is giving me error messages, “Reboot and select proper boot device” and “There is an error in the smart detection. Press F1 to continue or DEL to enter setup ”. 

A few people have suggested trying to update the BIOS. I'm not at home right now so I can't check what version I have. If I understand correctly, the latest BIOS updates are from 2018, so wouldn't that mean I should have the most current versions?

Most people think my hard drive is failing. Some say I could replace it. I didn't see any hard drives for my model on the Acer website.

Is my only option to buy a new PC? I don't have much experience trying to fix computers anyway.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

A SMART error tells you there is an issue with the drive. If it was just not being a recognized boot device it might be a corrupted EFI partition, but with the SMART error thrown in it almost has to be a failed drive. Your TC-780A supports any size or make of SATA drive you wish, I would strongly suggest a SSD instead of a HDD though, both for speed and reliability. Your motherboard has an M.2 slot for a SATA M.2 drive and that is a great place to put one, or you can use a 2.5" to 3.5" HDD adapter to put a 2.5" SSD in the same space currently used by your failed 3.5" HDD. #9 is the M.2 connector:

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • amateur

Tinkerer

Thank you!

Do I need the Windows product key? I am not able to log on to my PC to find it.

• amateur

Tinkerer

Is a 500 GB drive big enough? I don't think I want to spend a lot on this old PC.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

A 500GB should be fine for most people. The Windows product key is stored in the BIOS, so the install on the new drive should see that for you.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.