G6-710 Flickering screen while playing specific games

Options
PhMa
PhMa Member Posts: 1 New User
edited September 2023 in Predator Desktops

Hi, I have had some really annoying problems with my screen flickering whenever I am playing certain games (i.e. not all games cause this problem). What happens is that my screen turns black for a second (and sometimes for longer, multiple seconds). Sometimes when it happens it freezes my games and, weirdly, also crashes my Discord app.

I have an Acer Predator G6-710 that I bought in 2015 and has been running smoothly until very recently. I am not sure what happened - I didn't touch my hardware at all. I also used Windows 10 since I acquired the PC.

Specs:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz 4.00 GHz
16.0 GB

64-Bit

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980

Monitor: 3840x2160 (60 Hz)

What I already did:

• Factory reset
  • Buy a new HDMI cable with a better bandwith
  • Update my graphic card driver
  • Check whether my GPU is overheating when I am playing (at worst it reaches 90° C which, as far as I read online, seems to be acceptable)
  • Download apps that check the health of my system (they don't seem to indicate any obvious problem?)

The problem usually disappears, not always, after I restart the computer - and then reappears after some time I am unable to track.

I would really appreciate any help. I am at my wits end.

With best regards.

[Edited the thread to add model name and issue detail]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,956 Trailblazer
    Options

I'm not positive, but at 90C the GPU is likely into throttling mode. Can you try to run those games at a lower resolution?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.