Display upgrade on a predator PH315-53-749K laptop

Options
ilay01
ilay01 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in Predator Laptops

I own a predator laptop, PH315-53-749K.

My display(LQ156M1JW09) stopped working all of a sudden and I’ve tried and checked everything, I now want to upgrade the display instead of replacing it so I get a better frequency, G sync and more…

my question is will it work with the laptop?(BIOS whitelist and dimensions)

Here’s some displays that caught my eye and I would like to know which would actually fit and work

[Edited the thread to add issue  detail]

Best Answer

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,996 Trailblazer
    Options

Your oem model - LQ156M1JW09 that connects with an eDP cable with a 40-pin video connector, is a 240Hz refresher rate / resolution 1920 ×1080p screen and is the top of the range screen that Acer fits to this model Predator Helios laptop. Make sure that you have the GPU firmware
    v101a updated and also the last bios version 2.04 also, be very careful with firmware/bios updates as if done incorrectly it will brick your laptop.

From the list that you have given the BOE NE156FHM-NZ3 V8.1 - Refresher rate 360Hz / Resolution 1920 (RGB)×1080, FHD - that also has a 40-pin video connector screen just like the oem screen of your laptop, is the best screen to upgrade to.

Note: be very careful if you change the screen yourself, as before changing a laptop old screen make sure that you never ever have the adaptor plugged in, you never ever have the main battery plugged into the mainboard before you disconnect the old screen and especially plug the new replacement screen to your laptop. As if you do then you will damage either the cpu, gpu or chipset of your laptop and you will need to replace the mainboard!

• ilay01

Tinkerer

Options

hey thank you for the long answer I will look forward into the screen you suggested but I have a few questions.

1. How do I check GPU firmware version and update?
    2. The OEM screen outline size is 350.66×215.54 mm while the the screen I look forward to get is 350.66×216.05 mm. Would it fit?(if outline size is what I think it is)
    3. You are sure I can upgrade the screen and there is no OEM bios lock?
    4. Where can I buy the screen from? I’ve never bought replacement parts.

• Meetemmajhone
    Meetemmajhone Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Upgrading a laptop display involves several compatibility factors, including BIOS whitelist support and physical dimensions. While your intention to upgrade the display for better features like higher frequency and G-Sync is understandable, it's important to note that laptop display upgrades can be quite challenging due to these compatibility concerns.

Before proceeding, ensure that your laptop's BIOS supports non-OEM displays and that there's no whitelist restricting compatible displays. Additionally, physical dimensions like size and connector placement need to match the original display for a proper fit.

To determine compatibility with the displays you're interested in (from the Panel Spec Compare on Panelook), you'll need to cross-reference the specifications of your laptop's current display (LQ156M1JW09) with the specifications of the potential upgrade displays. Specifically, look for matching sizes, connectors, resolutions, and any additional features like G-Sync.

While the Panelook comparison can provide valuable information, it's recommended to consult with laptop manufacturers, online communities, or tech experts who have experience with laptop display upgrades. They can offer more tailored advice and help ensure that your chosen display is compatible and will function properly with your Predator laptop.

• StevenGen
    edited September 2023
    Options

Here is the answers to your questions:

1. Install GPUz and see the firmware of your gpu, but you don't need to know the gpu bios, ONLY USE the Acer provided firmware update on the Acer Drivers & Manuals page for the PH315-53 laptop, as that is the last firmware update that you should use for your gpu, don't use any other firmware except to what Acer list on your laptops driver page. Using any nonapproved Acer gpu firmware will brick your gpu or make it not perform to its peak performance.
    2. Keep to the oem size screen and screens that are listed by retailers that fit your PH315-53-749K, as any differences in size will affect how the outside bezel locks into your laptops screen.
    3. & 4. Yes, you can upgrade to a 300Hz refresher rate screen, see here at LM Screens - Acer PREDATOR HELIOS 300 PH315-53-749K Replacement LCD screen, they are USD $89.99 

• ilay01

Tinkerer

Options

hey thank you again this pretty much answered my questions and I will go for the screen you suggested.

Just one thing I didn’t understand is “outline size”, the outline height outline size of the new screen is 0.51mm bigger than the OEM one(215.54→216.05) would it still fit?

• StevenGen
    Answer ✓
    Options

The 0.51mm difference is virtually unnoticeable as its the same size screen as your oem screen and it won't make a difference. If LM Screens lists that 300Hz refresher rate screen as compatible with your laptop, then it will fit and work.

• Meetemmajhone
    Meetemmajhone Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options