Acer Nitro 5 AN517-51-56YW Drive Upgrade Details If it can support all 3 drives at the same time?

Madog24
Madog24 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in Nitro Gaming

Hello, my friend bought the Acer Nitro 5 17" a few years ago, and with that, I installed a 2.5" 2TB HDD for them.

Model: AN517-51-56YW

My question is:
I have a 512GB SATA M.2 (M+B Key) drive that I would like to add to their system, making a total of 3 Drives (Original drive it came with + 2TB 2.5" HDD + 512GB SATA M.2).
Can this device support all 3 drives at the same time? I know many drives have limitations, such as certain ports being disabled if another is in use.

If it can support all 3 drives at the same time, can I use the SATA M.2 drive? I know my OTHER friend's Laptop ONLY supports NVME and not SATA M.2, so I want to clear this up.

If this is also applicable, do I need to use specific drive slots for specific drives. I do not know what type of drive the Laptop original came with, as I do not have direct access to the drive, and I just want to make sure that I can do what I need to before I go over and open up their laptop.

thanks.

Edit:
I could not find any documentation for this model, or any clear answers about which drives support what. The only thing I saw was that both M.2 drives support NVME, but not any of the other questions I asked.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and add  issue  detail]

Answers

• Hello! One port is pcie only, i.e. it only supports nvme. The other port is pcie/sata, i.e. it supports nvme and sata 3. You can also add a hard drive:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Madog24

Tinkerer

Hi, thank you for this Information!

Does it specify which port is NVME only, and which supports SATA,
    and if you can use all 3 ports simultaneously?

also, if you do not mind me asking, where can I find the documentation in the images you provided?

• Madog24

Tinkerer

I believe each slot is labeled under the cover, actually

Now my only remaining question is if all 3 drive slots can be used at the same time.

• Madog24

Tinkerer

I think I figured this out.
    I found a disassembly video, and it looks like each drive slot for the M.2 is labeled

Now my only remaining question is if all 3 drive slots (2x M.2 + 1 2.5" SATA drive) can be used all at the same time, or if it is limited to 2 drives. (IE, if the second M.2 becomes disabled if the SATA 2.5" drive slot is occupied)

• Check this information:

Yes, you can have all three units at the same time. About the service manual, we cannot publish for download.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Madog24

Tinkerer

Thank you very much, this answers all of my Questions!

TL;DR for anyone else:
    1. On the AN517-51 model, it looks like 1 M.2 slot is NVME/SATA and the other M.2 is NVME only.
    2. On the AN517-51 model, each slot looks like it should be labeled under the cover/shield.
    3. It seems that all 3 slots can be used simultaneously.

• Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Madog24

Tinkerer

What is the max capacity that the M.2 slots support?

512GBs?
    1TB?
    2TB?

• Check this link: https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/acer/nitro-5-an517-51-56yw

egydiocoelho Trailblazer