Acer A770 Bifrost firmware and ASPM support not functioning

Options
IceStorm
IceStorm Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

One of my pet peeves about Intel's Arc GPU line is that it requires working ASPM on a motherboard for proper idle power consumption.

Turns out it's not just a motherboard issue.

I own both the original Intel Arc A770 Limited Edition card, as well as the Acer A770 Bifrost.

My MSI Z690I Unify motherboard has ASPM options in the BIOS. When used with the original Intel Arc A770 LE card, ASPM works fine and the card power consumption drops into the 5-25W range.

When using the same motherboard with the Bifrost, ASPM does not work. The card never goes below around 35-37W.

MSI blames Acer, and at this point I tend to agree given that it works with Intel's 1st party card, but not Acer's.

I'd appreciate it if Acer would look into this. It's pretty annoying to have a GPU burning ~45W doing nothing (add 10W from the RAM that isn't monitored).

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Hello! It would be interesting if you inform the computer model and check if there is a more recent version for the bios. Example: po3-620-r11h.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • IceStorm

Tinkerer

Options

I am on the very latest BIOS from MSI for the board, 7D29v1D, from July 24, 2023. It's not a BIOS issue at this point as ASPM works on Intel's A770 LE.

• IceStorm

Tinkerer

Options

Latest driver, 4824, which supposedly has updated firmware to fix the fan speed issue, does not do anything for ASPM. ASPM still does not function with the A770 Bifrost.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Have you tried contacting Intel support?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)