Intel Arc 31.0.101.4644 driver+firmware update causes Predator Bifrost A770 to throttle fans

Options
devsec
devsec Member Posts: 1 New User

The Intel Arc 31.0.101.4644 driver (which includes a firmware update) causes Predator Bifrost A770 to constantly throttle fans up and down from 0% to 30%.

Anyone else exhibiting this? Rolling back to the previous driver does not resolve this.

Answers

• lorvar
    lorvar Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Options

Yes many. Now Intel blames us, the user, and to contact Acer….

• lorvar
    lorvar Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Options

The only way I can get it to stop the throttling is to set the fan at 30% in the Predator app. I tried playing around with XML files, but it won't drop it to 20 where I had it before.

• Moomin82
    Moomin82 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I have the exact same problem.

All after latest update. Every 5 seconds, one of the fans on my GPU, keeps spinning up for a second.

Im going litteraly crazy.

Have you contacted support?

• IceStorm
    IceStorm Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options

I have an Acer A770 Bifrost, one of the initial cards made as I bought mine from Newegg as soon as "backorder/preorder" went up. The card is on a MSI Z690I Unify board with an original run 12600K (has AVX-512 support), with the 12600K's integrated GPU enabled. I'm running Windows 11 Pro with the latest updates.

When I first installed 4644, the card performed with no issues (Destiny 2 ran almost flawlessly), but I lost control of RGB and fan via the PredatorBifrost utility. Arc Control was also unable to set the fan speeds.

I ran DDU 18.0.6.6 to see what drivers DDU thought I had installed. Turns out DDU though the IGP was on 4644 and the Bifrost was on 4125…

Went into Safe Mode and removed all the Intel drivers using DDU. Rebooted, went into the BIOS and disabled the IGP, then booted back into Windows to install the 4644 drivers.

After installing the 4644 drivers a second time, the Bifrost's RGB and fan controls started working again. Arc Control still overrides PredatorBifrost fan settings, so you need to decide which one to run - Arc Control or PredatorBifrost, but either way, a fresh install of the drivers after using DDU worked for me.

After confirming everything was working, I re-enabled the IGP and installed 4644 on the IGP (uses the same driver). The Bifrost's RGB and fan control continued to function.

What is not working still is ASPM, but I'll start a different thread on that.

• Moomin82
    Moomin82 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited August 2023
    Options

I have one of the first ones aswell. Bought directly from acer.

Ive tried reinstalling several times, using DDU each time. I've updated bios, chipset, reinstalled Bifrost app numerous times aswell.

My system

Win 11 Pro fully updated.

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming. Ryzen 5800X. Getting seriously crazy over the sound, the fan makes, every 5 second or so.

I really hope they provide a fix

• IceStorm
    IceStorm Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options

Wouldn't be the first time an Intel driver update caused only some cards to misbehave. I had the lower RAM speed issue with my Intel A770 LE card which only affected "some" people. Here's to hoping they fix it soon. Supposedly Intel is looking into the issue according to their own community forums, but not before their forum support people tried telling posters to go ask Acer for a firmware update..