Dual Acer SB242Y Monitors - HDMI - 2nd monitor doesn't wake up from sleep

Options
mpstjvit
mpstjvit Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Greetings, here's my setup: dual monitors (model: SB242Y) connected via HDMI on Windows 10 Pro 22H2. The first monitor wakes on input, but the second monitor doesn't come out of sleep mode. I have to press and hold the power button to bring the second monitor back from sleep. Seems like a recent occurrence, as it wasn't happening when I first installed the monitors…Maybe a recent WinUpdate caused the issue? Curious if anyone else experienced this problem with this model?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,870 Trailblazer
    Options

Could be, how do you have the monitors connected? Two onboard HDMI ports, two ports on a GPU card, ports using adapters like DP to HDMI or VGA to HDMI?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 11,695 Trailblazer
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hi @mpstjvit a Windows Update should not cause this situation, billsey's comment is important that you answer it.

Thank you.
    Kind regards.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

I use Google Translate for English, German, Portuguese and French.

Pro bono collaborator, I don't work or speak in the name of Acer

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

Colaborador Pro bono, no trabajo o hablo en nombre de Acer

MSFT MVP (2003-21) & Windows Insider

X (Twitter)

• mpstjvit

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks billsey. Here's the setup: two onboard Display Ports. I'm using the HDMI port on the monitors, and the cable is HDMI on the monitor end, and Display Port to the PC ports. I switched to this configuration to get 100Hz, as VGA was only getting 60Hz. Seems like the second monitor comes on first thing in the morning (I reboot before I leave the office in the evening). Then, when the monitors go to sleep, the second monitor has a black screen. The sleep timer for the monitors is 10mins. What I noticed is that the mouse cursor actually goes to the second monitor, like it's online, but the screen is black. So, the second monitor appears to be on, but no display output. When I press the power button on the second monitor, it wakes up and I'm back in business until the next sleep cycle.

• billsey
    Options

When in the odd mode, what does Display Settings on the computer say about the second monitor? If you can see the mouse on that screen then the monitor itself is up and running and it's Windows that's not giving the background…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • mpstjvit

Tinkerer

Options

It just happened again, and my browser was on that second window; so I missed this thread. Next time it happens, I'll see what the Display Settings tell us. I did notice that I didn't get the Acer splash screen on the second monitor when I pressed the power button. It was about a one second hold then release. After a three second pause, the screen appeared as normal. Doesn't do it on the primary monitor…That monitor wakes every time without a problem. These monitors are about a month old.

• mpstjvit

Tinkerer

Options

Happened again (see attached photo). I launched the Display Settings when the second monitor was asleep, and I had Display 1 and Display 2 (the photo sort of captures it). Interestingly enough, after snapping the photo, I plugged my phone in to charge in an open USB port, and the second monitor woke up. I didn't have to press any buttons. I simply plugged my phone in to charge, and the monitor came to life…

• billsey
    Options

OK, what GPU card are you using to get the two Display Ports? Does it have any power settings for the ports? It looks like the GPU is saying the monitor is there but it not sending the wake up to the display without something else to trigger the refresh.

• mpstjvit

Tinkerer

Options

GPU is onboard: Intel HD Graphics 630 (both Display ports are on the Motherboard). Unfortunately, I don't have power options for this GPU (that would be nice). I did check Intel's website, and just installed the latest graphics driver package. That package is current through May 2023. The version I was using was from July 2022…Though, I don't think this current release was available when I installed the monitors, as I always reinstall the GPU driver with new hardware. I'll see if this driver package does the trick.

• mpstjvit

Tinkerer

Options

UPDATE: my PC reached EOL; so a replacement is in order. I'll see if this acts up on the new device. Thanks for all your assistance with this request!