Aspire R7-371T-57N WIFI Module replacement

Options
DougMcC
DougMcC Member Posts: 4 New User

My older Aspire R7-371T-57N won't connect to my new router and I suspect the problem is the installed Intel 7265NGW wifi module is 802.1ac whereas I should be connecting using 802.1ax Any recommendations for a compatible Intel module please

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answers

• DougMcC
    Answer ✓
    Options

Problem solved. My ISP blamed my laptop, not their problem! Partially correct but I found a setting in my router where I could turn off the AX mode, Works OK now. Thanks community for providing help.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

It's weird that the router even has an AX only mode… Glad you found a solution short of dropping an AX200 card in.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,068 Trailblazer
    edited August 2023
    Options

Does your router say that it does not work or connect to an 801ac type card? As your Aspire R7-371T laptop is 8 years old and it might be that the Intel AC 7265 Wi-Fi/BT card is faulty and needs changing, as that AC7265 card has a Max Speed of 867 Mbps and has a Bluetooth 4.2 and should work with a new 801ax type router as they are backward compatible.

You can try the Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 card that has a speed of 2.4 Gbps (that is 200% faster) and Bluetooth 5.2, and both cards are of Board Form Factor - M.2 2230, M.2 1216 so the new AX200 Wi-Fi 6/BT card will fit into your laptops slot and you can install the AX200 driver Version: 22.240.0 <from this link, but I don't think that your Aspire R7-371T laptop will be able to utilize the full wireless speed of 2.4Gbps of this card or it might not even work as your laptop might not be compatible.

Try the other Acer fitted Wi-Fi/BT cards that Acer fitted oem to the Aspire R7-371T laptop as they should work with the laptop and with your router, as router Wi-Fi Certification Standards are backward compatible from an 801ac to an 801xc and wise versa, I'm using an 801ac/1300 Mbps certified router with a Wi-Fi/BT card the Intel AX1650i Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) and it works perfectly.

• DougMcC
    Options

Appreciate your quick response. The laptop cannot see the SSID. I tried entering SSID data manually and still no success. Thanks for the suggested wifi models, I will check these out. (Yes, duly noted that the laptop is 8 years old but I'm reluctant to retire it as it still does the job 😀)

• billsey
    Options

Does the laptop see any other SSIDs? There shouldn't be an y issue with any router design that I'm aware of with connecting in 802.11ac mode on a WiFi 6 router (ax). You can always change the WLAN card out, since it's a M.2 form factor, to something like an AX200 and that would provide you with the extra speed, but my guess is something else is going on and a new card won't fix that.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • DougMcC
    Options

Thanks Billsey I can see other SSID's. So I have now configured an older router, 802.11ac, as an "extension" to my current router and managed to get the laptop to connect via the older router. An untidy solution but it works. I think I need to speak to my ISP about the new Orbi router they have provided as this could be the real problem.

• DougMcC
    Answer ✓
    Options

Problem solved. My ISP blamed my laptop, not their problem! Partially correct but I found a setting in my router where I could turn off the AX mode, Works OK now. Thanks community for providing help.

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options

It's weird that the router even has an AX only mode… Glad you found a solution short of dropping an AX200 card in.