Aspire XC-1760 Lost SSD Acer to the new SSD, it seemed to work but wouldn't boot.

PGBirt
PGBirt Member Posts: 4 New User

Bought a new Aspire XC-1760 with an M2 SSD. Tried cloning from the hard drive of my old Acer to the new SSD, it seemed to work but wouldn't boot. De-partitioned the SSD in a USB Caddy on another PC to remove the failed clone, booted from Win 10 and Win 11 media USB on the Acer, but when I tried to reinstall the OS neither 10 nor 11 could find the SSD. The SSD is visible in the BIOS. I've tried Secure boot both off and on. Tried setting a partition on the SSD and even tried formatting it, but still not found when it I tried to install Windows back in the Acer. Tried plugging the SSD into the Acer in the caddy and the OS USB stick then finds it, but of course it won't install onto a USB. Tried connecting an HDD to the Acer, again it's found in the BIOS but when I boot from the USB Windows Media it can't see the HDD. Anyone any idea what I'm missing please?

[Edited the thread to add issue  detail]

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

Be sure that Boot Enabled is on in bios and no other drive hooked up until you establish the boot drive

• Larryodie

Once you change to boot enable then reboot with F2 to change to your new boot drive

• Larryodie

I might note that always do the usb create an USB on windows and let it format and set the partitions. You can create an USB on another computer just specify win 10 or 12. Be patient as it's slow.

• PGBirt

Thanks, but already tried all that. When I try Win setup it can't even see any of the drives to install, it doesn't get as far as setting partitions. I've attached a screenshot. It's the same if I try an HDD.

• Larryodie

What happens if you boot using ALT-F10 ?

• Larryodie

https://www.google.com/search?q=alt+f10+boot&oq=&aqs=chrome.0.35i39i362l8.31142773j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_fWjZZParHO-e5NoP3r-RuAU_28

• Larryodie

https://www.google.com/search?q=alt+f10+boot&rlz=1C1VDKB_enUS1037US1037&oq=&aqs=chrome.2.35i39i362l8.32834810j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_3m7ZZOj8HpOm1QGy35bQBQ_29

• Larryodie

ALT-F10 probably won't work as it is a new hard drive.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,448 Trailblazer
    edited August 2023

First only install Win-11 on the Aspire XC-1760 desktop don't install Win-10 as Acer only has Win-11 drivers and support for Win-11 for this desktop!

The reason why "when I tried to reinstall the OS neither 10 nor 11 could find the SSD" is because when you install Win-11, and you get to the section of Win-11 installation section of "Where do you want to install Windows?" you need to have this unzipped driver on either the same Win-11 installation USB or on another USB so that you can go to Load driver and install this unzipped IRST (Intel® Rapid Storage Technology) Driver version 19.5.0.1037 from the XC-1760 Acer Drivers & Manuals section as after you install this driver then you can format the boot M.2 SSD drive and continue with the Win-11 OS installation, you need to install this driver first.

Note: with cloning a boot drive from another PC, you always need to use the proprietary cloning software that the new M.2 / 2.5" or 3.5" hard drives manufacturer suggests and uses like Samsung have their own Data Migration software, WD have Acronis True Image for Western Digital etc etc as these cloning software's are made for these manufacturers disk drives for cloning and they work 100%, as you must have cloned your old drive and OS wrongly from your old Acer PC.

• PGBirt

OK thanks for all the suggestions, I'll try the drivers. I understand that may be why the SDD wouldn't boot, but surely the HDD wouldn't need drivers? Something else in the BIOS maybe?

• PGBirt

The driver has got me the SSD back for installation thanks, so that's one headache out of the way. Now I need to check about the cloning. I used both Macrium Reflect and Acronis and both seemed to work fine, but presumably they also would need the drivers. Are you suggesting that, if I use whichever software Micron (the SSD manufacturer) recommends, that it will automatically install the drivers as part of the clone?

• Larryodie

If you follow these instructions.

You need not have to install any driver just BOOT the USB .

Do a F2 to select your Boot USB (with Boot Enable (enabled)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

Likely the old machine didn't have compatible drivers for the new hardware, such as the iRST drivers, so trying to boot from the old driver, or a clone of the old drive, doesn't come up. Better is to use a utility to just transfer needed data and apps from the old machine to the new one instead of trying to clone that drive.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.