Orion 5000 Reinstalling Windows but no storage device

Options
JuniSyn
JuniSyn Member Posts: 1 New User
edited August 2023 in Predator Desktops

So I've been trying to reinstall window on my Orion 5000 with no luck. After reaching the select storage device to install windows on, the list appears completly empty. I was looking some intel drivers but its an .exe file. Any suggestions to solve this issue?

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,508 Trailblazer
    Options

Browse this forum, lately there have been several posts with identical topics, I read this about "No drive detected":
    "Disable the VMD controller:(Intel® Volume Management Device) in BIOS. On clean installs, with VMD enabled you have to have the IRST driver available before Windows setup will see the drives installed. Download IRST driver, extract it and save it in the Desktop, during the installation process, when it asks, "Where do you want to install Windows?", you click Load driver (most probably in the lower left) and browse to the Desktop where you have saved the extracted folder, after the installation your system will recognize the SSD".

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,986 Trailblazer
    Options

Your Orion 5000 is the PO5-640 as its allot more helpful if you post the exact model number of your PC, anyway the reason why "After reaching the select storage device to install windows on, the list appears completly empty" and you can't install Win-11 and you get and empty section at "Where do you want to install Windows?" is because you need to have the IRST (Intel® Rapid Storage Technology) Driver version 19.0.0.1067 for the PO5-640 desktop, and it needs to be unzipped onto the Win-11 installation USB (or a separate USB) as after you need to go to "Load driver" and install this driver, as after you install this driver your boot drive will be recognized and you can format it and continue with the Win-11 installation.

Also, make sure that you install Win-11 on this desktops PCIe Gen4x4 M.2 SSD type drive at #23 in the caption below, just as a suggestion, the quickest M.2 SSD drive is the Samsung 990 Pro PCIe 4 NVMe SSD that is the fastest drive for this desktop, so if you want the best read/write performance I suggest that you use this drive.

PO5-640 mainboard components detail:

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

Yeah, don't disable VMD because some of the VMD functions are helpful. Instead just install the drivers as part of your install. Download them and extract and there is likely a zip file included. Extract that zip to a folder on the install image and when you get to that screen just install from the folder. The drives will show up like magic. :)

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.