How Can I access the BIOS (Legacy) on Aspire X1930

Options
ActionJ_2030
ActionJ_2030 Member Posts: 5 New User

I have a Acer Aspire X1930 that will not allow me to access the BIOS. I have used the DEL Key and probably every other Key on the Keyboard, pulled the CMOS/BIOS battery out, used the Clear CMOS/BIOS jumper and disconnected all the drives. Seems that it give me a double POST beep but does not access the BIOS. The computer boots, but seems to do a start up loop about 4 times before it goes into Windows 10 Home. Have seen everything from using software to reset BIOS to doing all the things that I have listed but still nothing. Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance. ActionJ_2030

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    edited July 2023
    Options

Here you go:

Timing is everything. Try holding the DEL key while powering it up.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ActionJ_2030
    Options

Have done this, have not gotten the result that I require! Have worked on and with computers since 1982. Am conversent with many brands, many systems, this is a stickler. I may, because of my use of USB keyboard, not able to get the DEL key registered to bring up the CMOS/BIOS. Have the ability to use PS2 on this computer, so have an adapter in the mail. Will try that and post the result, this should be marked 'not satisfactorily answered'. Appreciate your time.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,006 Trailblazer
    edited July 2023
    Options

Try to get into the bios through the OS by following the Win-10 bios guide entry here "How to Enter the BIOS on a Windows 10 PC" but basically this is what you have to do for Win-8:

If that doesn't get you into the bios and the official Acer Entering the CMOS Setup method above doesn't allow you access to the bios or you can't get into the bios through the OS, then you need to either get an experienced technician that has the BIOS - CH341A Programmer Software and Hardware to reprogram the bios chip or change the bios chip with a new one as the bios chip is corrupted and faulty as these are the only ways to get into a working bios.

Note: that your Aspire AX1930 is an old pre 2012 Acer Aspire desktop model, the materials that the bios chips is made of can deteriorate over time and it depends on the climatic conditions that the PC was stored at, which and if its not done correctly, the bios chip and all computer mainboard circuitries can deteriorate and get corrupted, be very careful if you reflash the bios for this Aspire AX1930, as doing a bios flash to such an old corrupted bios chips like you have, has a 70% CHANCE OF FAILILING completely if you flash the bios chip, which will brick your desktop, its happened to me with a similar old aged desktop and I had to reprogram the bios chip completely with a CH341A Programmer, which is a huge task to get the proper bios to flash this desktop because of its age. Here are the Aspire AX1930 bios reference on an Acer community post titled: Looking for BIOS upgrade for Aspire X1930 or if that doesn't work then look here at BIOS H61H2-AD Acer Aspire X1930 X3990. Good luck and hope this helps you out😀

Warning: I take NO responsibility if you brick or ruin your Aspire AX1930 bios chip or desktop from trying to flash the bios, this is only a guide as anything to do with bios flashing and programing needs expertise, if you don't have that expertise, then don't attempt the bios flash or programing.

• ActionJ_2030
    Options

Not a UEFI BIOS as far as I can asertain, am running Win 10, have done the rotiune and does not give me the options in advanced to go to UEFI. Am thinking it is a Leagcy BIOS, but could be mistaken. Just drawing a blank! As mentioned am awaiting a USB to PS2 adapter and hoping that I can jump the POST and get in. Thx.

• ActionJ_2030
    Options

THX StevenGen,

The PS2 keyboard connectors did not do the trick. Am up for a BIOS programmer, but will only go down that road if I cannot get the BIOS flashed any other way. Feel comfortable with the age of the MB etc. and am not a big fan of Acer/Gateway so it will not be a loss if it takes a hike. Your time is appreciated!

paj

• ActionJ_2030
    edited August 2023
    Options

Well this has been a very frustrating endeavour…..i do not want to offend, but my experience with Acer is pathetic. Will not suggest Acer or their product to anyone, and this one is going into E-waste!