Aspire A315-59>Windows 11> Problems with WIFI driver MediaTek MT7663 the controller has failed again

Options
JoseAF
JoseAF Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in Aspire Laptops

In the month of May 2023 I bought an ACER Aspire A315-59.I installed Windows 11 and it was working with no problem until late June, when, suddenly, the MediaTek 802.11AC MT7663 Wireless LAN Card driver started to return the Code 10 and it doesn't boot (I was running the latest version 2.0.9.257).

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• JoseAF

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

After disconnect and connect the WIFI module as @egydiocoelho told, it still not working.

Even been the laptop in warranty, I brought an Intel Wifi module and install it, and it works perfectly. Dont have even to install the drivers, it get from Windows.

The MediatTek WiFi modules that comes with the laptop are rubbish. I dont' recomend MediaTek WLan modules. A lot ot problems with them.

Thanks

Answers

• PCProb
    PCProb Member Posts: 22 Networker
    Options

Hi JoseAF,

Can you open Device Manager > Network adapters > right-click on your MediaTek adapter, and select Properties. Go to the Driver tab and let us know what driver version you have?

• JoseAF

Tinkerer

Options

Version 2.0.9.257

• PCProb
    Options

Your wireless adapter driver is current for Windows 11, so all should be fine there.

Did you update the BIOS again to version 1.22 (19/06/23)?

• PCProb
    Options

Forgot to say, it might be worth uninstalling the wireless adapter using Device Manager, and installing fresh drivers. Have you tried that?

• PCProb
    Options

Before doing anything - I assume you are using a LAN cable to get internet/updates on your laptop?

If you don't have a LAN connection - I would advise downloading the latest driver (version 2.0.9.257) from Acer's website before uninstalling the old one.

To uninstall the driver, open Device Manager > Network adapters > right-click on your MediaTek adapter, and select Uninstall device. This will remove the software for your device.

You can then go to the Action menu in Device Manager and select Scan for hardware changes. This will find any new hardware (i.e. your wireless adapter) and install it. If it can't find the driver use the one downloaded from Acer's website.

• JoseAF

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks @PCProb,

but everything you said is already done but it doesnt' work.

I'll reinstall W11… 😭

• eGomes
    eGomes Member Posts: 3,022 Guru
    Options

Hi,

MediaTek Wi-Fi cards have a bad reputation for having problems with instability and malfunctions due to the bad drivers provided by their manufacturer. I already had a bad experience with the drivers for the MT7921 controller. With each version released, a new problem appears or something stops working.

• JoseAF

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks @eGomes,

After reinstall W11, and get drivers directly from Windows Update, and confirm that I'm in the last version of the drivers, I have the same problem.

Looking in the Event Viewer, I can see that there's an error:

"MediaTek 802.11AC MT7663 Wireless LAN Card: The version number is not correct for this driver"

But…. is newly installed… I cant understand….

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Code 10 could indicate a faulty driver or device. Try uninstalling and deleting from device manager first. Then restart windows.
    If the problem continues, turn off the computer, disconnect the lithium battery, disconnect the wlan:

Then reconnect the wlan and battery, in that order!

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JoseAF

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

After disconnect and connect the WIFI module as @egydiocoelho told, it still not working.

Even been the laptop in warranty, I brought an Intel Wifi module and install it, and it works perfectly. Dont have even to install the drivers, it get from Windows.

The MediatTek WiFi modules that comes with the laptop are rubbish. I dont' recomend MediaTek WLan modules. A lot ot problems with them.

Thanks

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

I would check the bios version:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • suprunchuk
    suprunchuk Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Options

I have bios version 1.24. Similar problem. I can't fix it in any way. Help.

• eGomes
    Options

Hi,

There is another possibility that this WLAN card initalization failure is being caused by the Fast Boot / Fast startup feature. Try temporarily disabling it.

• kimass
    kimass Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

@eGomes

Fast Boot / Fast startup -Works! Other solutions were unsuccessful.

• suprunchuk

Tinkerer

Options

I tried to disable this function in the control panel in the power settings. It doesn't help..

• eGomes
    Options

Hi,

Check for this option in firmware UEFI / BIOS configuration:

• suprunchuk

Tinkerer

Options

it was initially enabled. I turned it off. nothing has changed.

• suprunchuk

Tinkerer

Options

I think I've solved the problem. Here I had a preference for 5G. I set "No preferences" and everything worked. Most likely, this driver did not correctly give preference to 5G. Because as soon as I set "no preferences", everything worked perfectly.

• sancho_ahmed
    sancho_ahmed Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Thank you, man! You really made my life easier. Spasibo mujik!