Acer Predator Helios 16 CPU overheating. (PH16-71)when playing games on turbo or performance mode.

Options
zane1345
zane1345 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited December 2023 in Predator Laptops

Hi, there this is my first time posting here. My helios 16 really starts to heat up sometimes when playing games on turbo or performance mode. I have an i9-13900HX and have the latest bios.

Also I got this laptop as an replacement for a 2022 Helios 300 because even that had issues with its gpu not performing up to its mark.

Any suggestions ?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,353 Pathfinder
    edited July 2023
    Options

If system overheat then fps will drop and cause lag and stutters. Some laptops need to apply new good quality thermal paste as default one is not very good but it can also occur if room temperature is high. In hot countries you need to optimize you settings for good experience and sometimes if everything is fine its still heat due to room temperature.

Follow these below steps-

1) Follow this windows optimization guide- Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

2) Limit fps from Nvidia Control panel to your desire value like 60,100, etc can greatly help to reduce temperatures

Crafting a DIY Solution

1. Prop the laptop up with books around the sides to reduce heat. Grab stack of 2-4 books that are equally thick. Slide the spine of a book 2–3 inches (5.1–7.6 cm) under the right side of the laptop. Do the same on the left side of the laptop. If you want to stabilize the laptop further, you can slide another book under the back or the front of the laptop.
    2. This will create some space between the bottom of the laptop and the surface it’s resting on. This space will make it easier for the heat to dissipate from the base of the laptop when it gets hot.
    3. You can really do this with a stack of any stable objects that are equally thick. For example, you could use stacks of coasters, hard plastic cases, Legos, or pieces of wood.
    4. If you want a cleaner look, cut 6-10 wine corks in half and set them under the laptop with the flat sides facing down.

Slide a book behind the back of the laptop to improve the angle. If you want to improve your ergonomic situation, take a long, solid book and slide the spine underneath the back of the laptop. Continue sliding the book toward the front of the laptop until the laptop screen is elevated and easier for you to look at.

• If you slide the book too far forward, your laptop may slide off. You can put a heavy book in front of the laptop to hold it in place, but this can kind of be awkward to do.
    • If you have pads on the bottom of the laptop to protect the surface underneath, put the spine just in front of these pads so the computer catches on the lip of the book.
    • Like the cooling solution, you can use basically anything that will prop the laptop up 1–3 inches (2.5–7.6 cm). Wine corks, lids, wood objects, and plastic cases can all be slid under the back of the laptop to change the angle of the screen.

If you still face high temperature issue then contact acer from below link with any mean of communication like online chat or email. They will send technician to your home for new thermal paste if possible or ask you to visit service centre. It will be free of cost since you are under warrantly

https://www.acer.com/gb-en/languages

(Go through this link select you country then scroll down click on contact support under support)

Or

If you think you can clean your laptop and apply thermal paste by your own then I can guide you in that case too

windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • zane1345

Tinkerer

edited July 2023
    Options

Thank you so much for your response. But for some reason this is only a problem with the CPU and most of the times, actually the cpu temps arent that bad. If I used turbo or performance the temps shoot up to 90 or 100. But on Balanced it stays at a normal 70-90 while heavy gaming. I am honestly scared cause this is my first gaming laptop as I was primarily a Mac user before this.

Its weird but the CPU sometimes has weird behaviours but most of the times the temps are normal.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,990 Trailblazer
    Options

What are the temps that you are getting with your new Predator Helios PH16-71? As this laptop is designed to operate at high temps with gaming and its CPU temps of 79~82c in the Performance and Turbo modes are a normal temp and this is what the CPU / GPU temp specs are set to:

• CPU TCC Trigger = 100C
    • CPU OS Shut Down Trigger = 110C
    • CPU EC Shut Down Trigger = 110C
    • H/W Shut down: 95.5C

Get a high performing laptop tablet cooler and never operate this laptop with its base vents obstructed from circulating air, as that contributes to this laptop overheating, especially in summer temps and hot room temps.

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,353 Pathfinder
    edited July 2023
    Options

That's normal and if you are leaving in hot temperature area or country like India. In that case you should limit you fps using Nvidia Control panel so that cpu get some rest room which will make frame rate stable and lower temperatures.temperatures.You got powerfull Cpu So I think you already gaining high fps and limit fps to lower value like 60, 70, 80, etc should not affect your gaming experience lot.

Another thing you can do is close all program before playing games and only run temp monitor app is using.

windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • zane1345

Tinkerer

Options

So generally the temps are around 80-88 ish for cyberpunk

For red dead its a bit weird. on balanced the CPU temps are 70ish but on turbo or perfomance they shoot up to 90 (I do get a 5to7% more frames). But again the cpu usage in any of these games isnt above 5%

Rainbow Six is the main culprit. The game causes my cpu to run at 99c (3% usage) on turbo or performance on balanced it causes my cpu to run at 90ish. (R6S used to have a problem with high cpu usage but it has been patched and my cpu barely gets used but still reaches high temps which I dont understand).

CSGO runs fine with cpu temps being 60ish or low 70s.

God of war also has the tendency to cause my CPU to go into the 90s on turbo or performance but has normal temps on balanced (70-80).

Battlefield 2042 runs normally at 80 ish degrees.

None of the games I've noticed stutters or frame dips. I've noticed that the temperatures start to rise when I use turbo or performance mode. I also have iets 300 which is a really good laptop cooling fan and I live in a cold area. From what I've gathered that the i9-13900HX is a very hot processor.

Also my GPU temps are completely normal like 70ish degrees at max 99% usage.

• Aakash4910
    Aakash4910 Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Options

hey facing same issue in acer predator neo 16 ..CPU temp remains below 70 on balanced mode but reaches 95 above on turbo mode

• TePeL
    TePeL Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited October 2023
    Options

I just posted a thread about (unreasonably?) high CPU temps on my Helios 18.

I'm curious - what kind of temps do you guys get in BIOS? @GAMING6698 did you ever check that?

I get CPU temps of 70-80 degrees in BIOS (CPU seems to run at high frequency and voltage there, at least according to the BIOS monitoring info) which seems absurd.
    In particular I find that CPU temps can go up very fast with just a couple % usage; I've only ever seen this on my dekstop builds when I did a [ Content Removed] with thermal paste/CPU cooler. Wondering if the thermal paste is not applied correctly on the CPU, as GPU temps look fine. I think there should be liquid metal on these?

Same CPU on my machine, RTX4080 GPU.

[Edited the thread to hide sensitive information]

• djadam
    djadam Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Just got my Predator Helios 16 (i9 - 4080) and I'm troubled by the high temps.

Constant 99 degrees whilst playing COD with cpu usage around 2-3%.

I don't actually see any performance drop, just really high temperatures.
    Any ideas?

• zane1345

Tinkerer

edited December 2023
    Options

Yeah I think theres a widespread issue with the cpu overheating. I seriously think they need to allow us to undervolt in BIOS or give us free service cause I detect a mass screw up of a liquid paste application by Acer.

• eGomes
    eGomes Member Posts: 2,929 Guru
    Options

A simple equation:

(Non optimized game engine) + (CPU Max Turbo Frequency frequently requested) = System Overheating = Thermal throttling = Performance drop = Low FPS

For these scenarios, you can disable the Processor performance boost mode (PERFBOOSTMODE) to force CPU use only your base clock.

And you will still be able to run your games, without experiencing a significant drop in performance and FPS. You can undo these changes at any time.

https://www.ctrl.blog/entry/laptop-boost-mode-battery.html

• zane1345

Tinkerer

Options

"Non Optimised Game Engine ???? " . Ah yes maybe Acer should ask Lenovo and ASUS how they managed to make the 13900HX run properly. Also the only problem right now with all Helios 16 and 18 models is the temperature. There is no thermal throttling because the games are running fine with performance matching upto the standard but the i9 overheating is the concern atm.

• eGomes
    eGomes Member Posts: 2,929 Guru
    Options

This problem isn't exclusive to Acer laptops!

I think you could at least try using the tip above, and check how your laptop's temperatures behave. 😉

• m1sterd
    m1sterd Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Options

I have the Helios 16 with 13900HX and RTX 4080, many other companies allow undervolting with this processor and laptop, even Acer supports this on the previos Helio laptops I think, if people are worried about the laptop temperatures and Acer thinks its ok, then will they give me more than 1 years warranty? I can't take my laptop back as its over 1 month old, therefore allowing me to undervolt the CPU so I can make it run as cool as I can get it surely can only be a good thing?

• m1sterd
    m1sterd Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Options

Do Acer read these posts? How can we request that Undervolting be allowed on the Helios 16/18 with 13900HX processor (and maybe others)?

• MatiasBertotti
    MatiasBertotti Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options

I found that a "solution" for the really high temps is to turn off Turbo Boost in the (Advanced advanced) BIOS that you can unlock pressing "Fn + TAB" before bios while turning on the laptop.

(Hokd Fn + Tab - keep holding fn + tab while pressing power on button for like 3second - press f2 repeatedly until you enter in BIOS)(Boot password must be on)

This is what worked for me but my CPU now is blocked at 2.2 GHz, I know this is not the ideal but I found myself playing "The outer worlds" and "RDR2" and didn't give me any noticeable problem, temps where at a constant 70 on those games.

I tried to find tune with Intel XTU but either it gets back to default when the predator sense scenario changes or the settings just don't take effect.

• MatiasBertotti

Tinkerer

Options

Hi again, so I did a further research and found out that I can use a software called "Throttlestop" to lower the temperatures! Give it a try, check also YouTube about the software and there is tutorials explaining the minimum to know to set down the temperatures. It worked for me

• Aakash4910
    Aakash4910 Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Options

My friend changed some settings in the bios about 2 weeks ago and since then my temp issues has reduced dramatically. Its not that he stopped turbo mode but he was saying there was a setting that was enabling turbo on every task even its not required. I had also used throttlestop that also helped reduce the temps but i was getting microstuttering on every games because of bottleneck on CPU, now after changing settings on bios CPU uses excess power only if its required.

• zane1345

Tinkerer

Options

Could you ask your friend on what those settings were ? Cause disabling turbo still might introduce microstuttering in some games.

• MatiasBertotti

Tinkerer

edited March 30
    Options

Do you happen to know which settings it was? Looking back at the Bios I'm not sure I've ever seen it.

Yeah, I don't happen to see microstuttering so frequently but I have seen them sometimes, still if there is a way to fix it too I'll be so happy to know :)

• MatiasBertotti

Tinkerer

Options

Okay, I tried disabling RTH (Race To Halt) in the BIOS it basically pushes the Processor to go back to diel state and finish early the task by rising the frequency of the cores, it will make your pc a little slower but when I tried it again playing, when I used to reach peaks of 90°C now I'm at 80°C maximum. I didn't use Throttlestop or any other software, just predator sense on balanced and turn of race to halt, also I put boot mode in Max non turbo.