Acer Nitro 5 an515-51 USB power supply is it even possible to make them non-powering?

Options
per99
per99 Member Posts: 47 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

When my Acer Nitro 5 (an515-51; about 4-5 years old) is completely turned off, the USB ports continue to supply power. I don't want it that way. I have searched the web to find some kind of setting that causes the USB ports to be disconnected, when the computer is turned off. I found 2-4 different suggestions, but none of them worked.

So now I'm wondering: is it even possible to make them non-powering?

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and to add issue detail]

Answers

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 11,788 Trailblazer
    Options

Hi @per99 check from Acer Quick Access if you have USB power disable feature:

Thank you.
    All the best.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

I use Google Translate for English, German, Portuguese and French.

Pro bono collaborator, I don't work or speak in the name of Acer

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

Colaborador Pro bono, no trabajo o hablo en nombre de Acer

MSFT MVP (2003-21) & Windows Insider

X (Twitter)

• per99
    Options

Unfortunately, when I type Quick access in the search box, I get no hits of that kind. Only web links. Seems that kind of "app" isn't included in this laptop.

• per99
    Options

BUT if I look in the manual for this very computer, I should have that Acer Quick Access. This is strange, indeed. Thanks, BTW, Alejandro_AC.

• per99
    Options

It says "Specifications vary depending on model", beneath, though. Hmmm … 😕

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 11,788 Trailblazer
    Options

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

I use Google Translate for English, German, Portuguese and French.

Pro bono collaborator, I don't work or speak in the name of Acer

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

Colaborador Pro bono, no trabajo o hablo en nombre de Acer

MSFT MVP (2003-21) & Windows Insider

X (Twitter)

• per99
    Options

Thanks! I bought this one second hand. And made a clean install, of course. That's probably the reason I haven't got Quick Access.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

That would certainly be the reason. :) The Nitro AN515-51 models do not have the feature where you can charge a device off one of the USB port when the laptop is off, so there's something else going on if the ports are still powered. Are you sure it's actually off and not in a sleep mode?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,891 Trailblazer
    Options

"Modern stand-by" mode is controlled by BIOS depending on your model, BIOS advanced settings have S0, S1 etc., for that. Read this Asus link that explains how USB ports have power while the laptop is shut down (S5):
    https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1042220/