Aspire TC 885 LAN disabled if using m.2 slot

BSM9
BSM9 Member Posts: 6 New User

Hi,

I have a Aspire TC 885, and was trying to add a m.2 device (google coral) but after adding it, my onboard LAN connection stopped working.

I had already installed a 2 port gigabit card which is still working, and I am also using all three SATA ports.

The system was working fine until I added the m.2 device.

Now the onboard LAN connector does not show any status LED or work at all. I am guessing this may be a limitation of the bus but I am purely speculating, as I did not think that onboard LAN would be effected.

Could anyone advise how I can get the LAN port to work again?

Thanks

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer
    edited July 2023

The block diagram shows only one PCIe lane going to that M.2 slot, so there might be issue with the Coral card due to that. Acer might also have thought that no one would be putting anything but a WLAN card in. I don't know why that would be reflected by the Ethernet port onboard though… They are on different PCIe channels.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • BSM9

Thanks for the reply, had not seen that diagram before. Have you also got one for the other m.2 slot on the motherboard? I forgot to mention which slot I am using, I am using the other one (2280/2242)

• BSM9

bumping for visibility

• Hello! When you disconnect the ssd m2, does the lan port work again?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • BSM9

yes, removing it restores fuctionality

• billsey

Yeah, I goofed up. That is the WLAN slot… Here is the SSD one:

So it is a co-lay between SATA and NVMe. Here's the bit for the Ethernet:

So they are on completely different channels, 6 vs. 21-24. It's got to be something weird the Coral card is doing, maybe address space conflicts?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • BSM9

I am not really sure how the coral card could be interfering, but I guess I could try changing swapping the 2 port card with a 4 port one.

Kinda weird but hopefully that will resolve my issue.

• What is this bios version?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • When you plug in the ssd, are these options enabled or disabled?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• billsey

He is not putting a SSD into the M.2 slot. The coral card is an AI accelerator that goes into either a SSD style or WLAN style M.2 slot and has drivers for Linux.

• BSM9

Hi,

All the setting in bios for onboard LAN was enabled. Was working fine until the coral card was added.

I installed a 4 port card which is working fine so I am no longer relying on the onboard LAN.

Thanks for the help