Acer Nitro 5 515-57 57g (3050) extreme lag while gaming

Lizzy124
Lizzy124 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited 12:31AM in Nitro Gaming

I got this computer with 8gb ram, and upgrading ram made it a little better, but sometimes games will drop to a few frames per second, and it will persist outside of the game unless I toggle Cool Boost, sleep the computer, or restart it. The iGPU usage goes all the way up when it happens, and I know it's not overheating because it never goes above 70 degrees. Games will run completely fine up until they start lagging, so I don't know what's wrong. Sometimes the computer will completely shut down if I don't fix the lag fast enough. Someone please help, there are so many games I just can't play because of this, and I got this new recently, so I'm not getting a new computer any time soon. Just ask if there's any other info I need to provide.

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,528 Trailblazer
    edited July 2023

What is your exact Nitro 5 laptop model number e.g AN515-xx 15" or is it a 517-xx 17" etc etc ??? as saying Nitro 5 (3050) means nothing, how much ram are you ruining and is it just 1x stick of ram?

Gaming laptops need to be run in dual channel memory (2x ram modules) and these Nitro laptops if they lag the best solution is have them upgraded to their max ram capacity, also make sure that you have the latest Windows Updates, Intel driver s updated and the latest NVidia RTX3050 game ready driver, and also make sure that you play your games through the GeForce Experience software that applies the ultimate NVidia settings for your gpu and the games that you play and that this software covers, which is over 1500 games. As doing all this will make your Nitro 5 laptop perform at its best.

Btw, I speak from personal experience as I’m running a Nitro laptop with an RTX3050 4GB gpu and an i7-11370H cpu with 32GB 2x 16GB DDR4-3200MHz CL22 type ram and a 1TB WD SN750 PCIe 3 x4 M.2 SSD drive and I’ve never had the problems that you have and all my games work perfectly.

• Lizzy124
    edited July 2023

I have a 515-57 57g. I have two sticks of 32gb ram, and always have every driver up to date. I know what settings to use in games, so I don't use GeForce Experience. I'm running everything on an SSD. I could only find one post on Reddit about this specific model having the same issue, and the solution was to use the drivers provided specifically for this model, but even that didn't work. It's not that it can't handle the games, because it runs them fine, but after a while they start causing lag to the whole computer.

Also, I've always had pretty low end computers until this one, so I know my way around optimizing games and whatnot. I cannot find any other information about why this might be happening or how to fix it. It seems like such a specific issue that nobody has any idea what might be causing it.

• StevenGen
    edited July 2023

It could be the 2x 32GB sticks of ram that might not be fully compatible or you might have upgraded the ram with the wrong spec ram, what spec DDR4 ram have you got for the 64GB kit and where did you get these specs from? Also, it could be your M.2 SSD drive(use a top end M.2 PCIe4 x4 drive like the Samsung 990 Pro NVMe) below are the specs for the PCIe slot for the AN515-57 with the RTX3050 gpu that you have, so check that also, as the lag in your laptop is caused by a hardware issue that is either from the ram or M.2 drive that are getting hot and/or are being affected by heat.

What I've done on my AN515-56 is that Ive put thermal pads on the M.2 drives and ram to dissipate heat for gaming, as when these laptop are used for hard core and prolonged gaming, they do get hot and it affects their performance, also buy a top end laptop tablet cooler that are very handy as they keep your laptop off the desk and they pump fresh air into the base of the laptop, which helps and reduces temps by at least 10C or more.

Crucial recommends the following ram for their 64kit for the Nitro AN515-57, best is to do their System Scan which recommends the below ram spec modules.

Crucial's 64GBGB kit is the following: Crucial 64GB Kit (2 x 32GB) DDR4-3200 SODIMM - DDR4-3200 • CL=22 • NON-ECC • SODIMM • 260-pin • 1.2V • 2Rx8 • PC4-25600 is what they have tested the Nitro 5 AN515-57 with,

• Lizzy124

No, the problem existed well before. I upgraded because of this issue. Also, I got these parts from my last laptop that stopped working, but it was far better than my current one, so that shouldn't be a problem.

• Junnila
    Junnila Member Posts: 3 New User

I had huge lag. Also, very hot both CPU and GPU.

Solution: opened the back and blow all the dust away. Used CRC Dust Off 360.

Temp went from 100/95 CPU/GPU to 60/81!!!

FPS from few to 70-90.

SOLVED

• StevenGen
    edited 1:45AM

Just want to get this straight Lizzy124, if and as you say…“I've always had pretty low end computers until this one” like your Aspire 5 A515-57G model, then you must realize that your Aspire 5 is not a gaming laptop, yes this laptop can have a top of the range 12th Gen cpu like a i5 -1235U or i7 -1255U cpu’s TDP 15W, and a dedicated gpu like the Nvidia MX550 or the RTX2050 TDP 30W gpu’s and you have upgraded the ram to 64GB at 2x 32GB DDR4-3200MT/s CL22 total (which and btw, does not improve gaming performance) as this laptop was not designed as a full on gaming laptop, and the upgrades that you have done to your Aspire 5 laptops will increase heat even more to its oem design, as the Aspire 5 is not designed to be a full on gaming laptop and yur laptop can’t dissipate that extra heat, so you need to remember all this right that right from the start.

The HEAT causes low fps issue(s) and power issues in laptop’s and that is because as I’m sure that you understand, that laptop’s have a restrictive cooling system and design for their high tech components that manufacturers try to squeeze into these laptops, e.g. their thermal modules, fan size and power and the laptops restrictive case and size to disperse the tremendous amount of heat that they generate, all contribute to their longevity and/or gaming performance, while in a properly water cooled cpu and gpu and gaming case of a gaming desktops this does not happen, as gaming desktops can dissipate heat allot better from their components like with water cooling the cpu and gpu or even ram and M.2 SSD and their gaming cases etc etc

I’ve got a Nitro 5 AN515-56 that has the i7-11370H cpu with an RTX3050, 32GB DDR4-3200MT/s CL22 (2x 16GB modules) ram that is connected to a 19V Amps: 7.1A Wattage: 135W and this laptop has been repasted with liquid metal paste to the cpu, extreme high end normal gaming paste for the gpu and high end pads to all its vram chips all with Thermal Grizzly brand products and has a high end tablet cooler that it operates under always, and it still overheats and is affected after and over 1 hour or more of extreme gaming like Assetto Corsa or F22 or any high demanding gaming by heat and which leads to low fps and even if you go to extremes, the laptop just shuts off like its designed to, which all this makes gaming uncomfortable and not a great experience which is the same case with all gaming laptops, while on the other and if you have a dedicated gaming desktop that is setup with water cooling the same high end cpu, gpu, ram and M.2 Gen 4 x4 drives lkike these gaming laptop’s, and has the same components it will perform completely differently and is a completely different animal and can handle all heat and will very rarely drop fps as laptops are restricted and can NOT be a full on gaming rig like a gaming desktop can.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍