Acer Nitro 5 AN515-57-79TD Bluetooth Driver Error Code 31

Antsmasher
Antsmasher Member Posts: 41 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited June 2023 in Nitro Gaming

I have been having issues with the Bluetooth on my Acer Nitro 5 AN515-57-79TD laptop.

Its operating system is Windows 11.

I would make attempts to connect my Bluetooth earbuds to the laptop, and it would say that it is connected. However, the results would vary.

Sometimes the device does show up in my sound output options, and sometimes it won't.

On the times that the device do show up, there are problems playing music or a video. For example, if I play music with Windows Media Player, the program would hang for many seconds and start playing, but there would be no sound. The same thing happens with playing Youtube videos.

I can confirm that there is nothing wrong with my Bluetooth earbuds because they work properly on my phone.

I tried another solution of plugging a Bluetooth 4.0 USB dongle to see if my earbuds would pair with my laptop with it. It worked for one day, but on the next day after I rebooted my laptop, it stops working. In the device manager, it would say the driver for the dongle is experiencing the following error:
"This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)"

From this point on, I tried many solutions including the following:

1. uninstalling the Bluetooth driver, and restarting my laptop so that it automatically installs the driver again.
  2. Using Driver Easy to download the latest updates for the driver
  3. Going Acer's website and downloading the Bluetooth driver accordingly to my laptop model.
  4. Going on third party sides to find an update for my driver
  5. I followed the steps given by Window's troubleshoot feature.
  6. Opening Window's Services App and setting the start up type of Bluetooth Support Service from manual to automatic.

None of those work. I even bought a new Insignia Bluetooth 5.0 USB to try it on my laptop. However, after it finishes installing the driver, it would still give the same error as before:

"This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)"

As a side note, my phone can connect to it, send and receive pictures via bluetooth, but for some reason, my earbuds and the Bluetooth dongles don't work on it.

I appreciate any advice I get from here.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,480 Trailblazer
    edited June 2023

The Intel Killer AX1650i Wi-Fi/BT card is a troublesome card in Bluetooth, I know as it was also fitted to the previous Acer Nitro 5 AN515-56 which I own and I've had similar problems with this card, so you are NOT alone, but now its working pretty well, it still and sometimes does not connect to Bluetooth but its allot better. What I've done is this, I'm using the Acer oem Bluetooth driver and the latest Intel Wi-Fi driver and the combination of both of these drivers makes the Bluetooth work pretty reliably and connects 99% of the, there some problems sometimes, btw this is with a set of JBL LIVE650BTNC headphones.

Bluetooth error code 31 means that the device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. To resolve this issue, you can try updating the driver by following the instructions in the device's Properties dialog box. Alternatively, you can try running the Bluetooth troubleshooter by going to Settings > Update and Security > Bluetooth

What I suggest that you do is first uninstall all the Bluetooth drivers that you have added and installed onto your laptop, like the Bluetooth 4.0 USB dongle and the Insignia Bluetooth 5.0 USB first. Then ONLY install the initial Acer BT driver for the Killer AX1650i Version 22.130.0.2 and DO NOT update this driver with any new Win-11 drivers from Intel through Windows Update. As that is what is the problem with my Killer AX1650i card also, as it will not work with any other updated driver except on my laptop, with the Acer oem driver which is Version 22.40.0.2 that is on my AN515-56 laptops Acer Drivers & Manuals, but the Wi-Fi part of the card works 100% with the latest Intel Wi-Fi Version 22.220.0.4 driver for Win-11, so try that also first and see if it will work.

Or and if installing and using the oem Acer Version 22.130.0.2 Bluetooth driver does not work with your KIller AX1650i card and your laptop is still under warranty, then send your laptop to Acer Support in your country as there is something wrong with your the card, if your laptop is out of warranty then I suggest that you change the card to another Wi-Fi/BT card like the Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 as its the same card and its much more reliable in Acer laptops than the Killer AX1650i card.

• Antsmasher
    Antsmasher Member Posts: 41 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    edited June 2023

@StevenGen , thank you for the response.

"What I suggest that you do is first uninstall all the Bluetooth drivers
    that you have added and installed onto your laptop, like the Bluetooth
    4.0 USB dongle and the Insignia Bluetooth 5.0 USB first. "

After uninstalling any added Bluetooth drivers, the device manager looks like the following. Let me know if I have uninstall any other drivers.

"Then ONLY install the initial Acer BT driver for the Killer AX1650i Version 22.130.0.2"

I search Bluetooth driver update for Killer AX1650i and found this site: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=rrjrd&oscode=wt64a&productcode=xps-13-9360-laptop

I'm not entirely sure this is the right one that you are referring to.

If it's not, would you be able to provide a link?