Camera didn't work in the Acer Nitro 5 AN515-57

Miee27
Miee27 Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi guys, sorry for my bad English skills but my camera doesn't work in Windows 11. I used the Camera app with fully permission but sometimes it disappears and I can't use it because the laptop can't find my camera.
Sometimes it shows the PC Camera. At that times, the camera light is on continuously in green, but the image is black.
Sometimes it shows the HD User Facing. At that times, I can used it sometimes (not often) and sometimes the image is black as well and the camera light doesn't have green.
I tried to use the webcamtests.com as well. At first it finds out my camera but after I press the test button, it shows that "Your webcam is being used or blocked by another application. To start your webcam, you must temporarily close that application." I did the instructions the web gives me but it won't work as well.
What can I do to resolve this problems? Thanks guys.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,769 Trailblazer

What operating system, if any, was factory-installed? Win10, Win11, Linux, nothing?

Jack E/NJ

• Miee27

@JackE I used Windows 11 Home Single Language 64-bit install in the factory.

• JackE

Did the camera always behave like this when you first acquired the laptop?

Jack E/NJ

• Miee27

Actually I don't use my camera at the first acquired the laptop (I bought this laptop around 18 months ago), I only used it for the last few days due to the requirement of my online job and sometimes it works well sometimes it doesn't like I shared above. I tried many ways to fix the camera by searching google such as uninstall driver in Driver Manager and reboot laptop, update the latest Windows 11 version, check Camera access, check the latest driver by Driver Easy, reinstall the Windows 11 by using the reset PC in Recovery, … However, it's been the same as of now as I'm writing this, and it seems to work a lot less often than it did a few days ago.
    Btw when I reinstall the Windows 11, I delete all drivers and install the new one by using the Driver Easy.

• JackE

reinstall the Windows 11 by using the reset PC in Recovery,

Unfortunately, the Win11 recovery in settings is not the same as a factory reset using the AcerCareCenter app or ALT+F10 cold boot methods from the hidden Acer reset partition on the original boot drive. While this partition may no longer be accessible due to using Win11 recovery, I think it's worth trying the factory reset to see if it resolves the problem. Then immediately turn on Control Panel's System Protection app just in case an errant Win11 update is causing the intermittent issue. Open your AcerCareCenter. Look for an option to do a factory reset. This should bring your laptop back to the factory fresh state of Acer OEM Win11 system and drivers as when you first acquired the machine.

If a factory reset doesn't resolve the issue, then it's likely a hardware issue. Usually the LCD-videocam cable has a crack or break in one or more of its conductors. Often happens in the congested hinge area from wear & tear of opening/closing the lid too much. While replacement LCD videocam cables are inexpensive, it does require disassembly to access the mainboard, screen & cam connectors to replace it.

Jack E/NJ

• Miee27

Yeah I took my laptop to the place where I bought it, and they tried reinstalling Win 11 using Acer Care Center and their USB Boot, but the problem with my Camera still doesn't seem to be resolved. In the end they concluded it was a hardware failure and I should buy a separate Camera to use because the cost to repair my camera is quite high since my laptop is out of warranty.

• JackE

I took my laptop to the place where I bought it

The camera is probably OK. But the LCD videocam cable has probably developed conductor breaks in the hinge area from wear and tear of opening and closing the lid too much. Replacement cables are inexpensive and take about an hour labor to disassemble the screen lid and bottom cover to replace. You should ask them for a price to do the job for you if you don't want to do it yourself. Google AN515-57 & video cable for vendors who ship the part to your location.

Jack E/NJ