Acer Predator W6 - SSID names returns with 5G and 6Ghz behind the SSID

Options
aelaan12
aelaan12 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited June 2023 in Gadgets & Accessories

Why does the Acer Predator W6 not allow me to have 1 SSID for all bands?

I have tried to change the names of the SSID to the same. It shows on the screen that it is successful, but it returns with 5G and 6Ghz behind the SSID

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,593 Trailblazer
    Options

it returns with 5G and 6Ghz behind the SSID

What do you mean by the word "behind"? Did you reboot the computer and the router after you made the name change?

Jack E/NJ

• aelaan12

Tinkerer

Options

Hi Jack, sorry that information was not well worded. It seems that the expectation with Apple macOS is to see 1 SSID name. I cannot set the same SSID on the 2.4, 5Ghz and 6Ghz. The information I get from the https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202068 website is somewhat confusing. Of course, I have already rebooted my systems, and the router is taking the same SSIDs from before. I am going to reset the router to factory and see if I get farther that way.

Best,

Al

• JackE
    Options

I am going to reset the router to factory and see if I get farther that way.

OK. As a test, I'd first try the default SSID after re-setting to see if it works. Worry about changing it to something else later.

Jack E/NJ

• aelaan12

Tinkerer

Options

Same issues - below is an example, not the real SSID

And the names change back to the default automatically.

Requirements:

Network name (SSID)

Set to a single, unique name (case-sensitive) for all bands

The Wi-Fi network name, or SSID (service set identifier), is the name
    your network uses to advertise its presence to other devices. It's also
    the name that nearby users see on their device's list of available
    networks.

Use a name that's unique to your network, and make sure that all
    routers on your network use the same name for every band they support.

• Don't use common names or default names such as linksys, netgear, dlink, wireless, or 2wire.
    • Don't give your 2.4GHz, 5GHz, or 6GHz bands different names. All bands should have the same name.

If you don't follow this guidance, devices might not connect reliably
    to your network, to all routers on your network, or to all available
    bands of your routers. And devices that join your network are more
    likely to encounter other networks that have the same name, and then
    automatically try to connect to them.

Let me know who to work with to test this further - firmware on the router is: W6_1.30.308516.

For now I am running with different names on each band.

How do I put in a request for review with Acer? Obviously I am not the only one with this issue, oh and I am a network engineer - but you most likely did not need to know that.

• JackE
    Options

If you don't follow this guidance, devices might not connect reliably

For now I am running with different names on each band. > oh and I am a network engineer

Looks like you're not following apple's guidance. But it's working anyway. Must be a good network engineer. 🙂 I usually setup mixed Linux & Windows networks via MACaddress filtering instead of password security. Seem to be less setup & connection headaches that way.

You can go to this link. Choose country where purchased. Click the support link near the top of the country page. Enter the router's serial number id (SNID) and use the contacts methods provided to see if a real Acer rep can figure it out. Though I suspect you might have better luck with folks on the Mac user forums.

I

Jack E/NJ

• jzchen
    jzchen Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

I just purchased this router as an add on to my busy network. I have primarily ASUS AiMesh (Access Point mode with AiMesh), one TP-Link router also in Access Point mode, and have just added the W6. The latest firmware has "Band Steering" which enables a single unified SSID. You'll want to enable this in "Router" setup mode, (I did not try Mesh because I only have one). After that, IF you need "Bridge mode" like me, the Band steering setting stays, and you can have a unified SSID for all 3 bands.