AN517-51-56YW charging issues Constant charging issues the entire time.

Options
SilverShadow
SilverShadow Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited June 2023 in Nitro Gaming

Had this thing for atleast 3 years. Constant charging issues the entire time. Sent it in for warranty repairs thrice, would work for about 3 months max before stopping again. One repair might have been a heat sink, one was a NPF, and one was cable and battery. I've tried a battery reset with the adapter and power button. Uninstalling the drivers and unplugging the battery. Checking for driver updates. Anything I can find maybe works for a week. Do I need a new battery? Is there a known issue with these batteries or adapters and I need an aftermarket one? I love the computer otherwise but the charging issue keeps coming back repeatedly.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,867 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Only 26% battery wear in 3-4 years is pretty good; could be 30-40%, so there is nothing wrong with your battery. What is not so good is that you are apparently playing games on battery only and that is a no-no with that power hungry GPU inside. Don't drain the battery to 6%. Leave the adapter plugged in unless you are traveling or not doing anything other than e-mail or browsing the internet. You don't say what your charging issues are but if the battery does not always charge to100%, try this:

Disable Acer Care Center battery 80% charge limiter. Uninstall the 2 Microsoft battery drivers with Device manager:

Reboot and let Windows reinstall the battery drivers again. Plug-in the power adapter and charge till the amber charge LED turns blue, better shutdown the laptop during that charging. Unplug and boot, use the laptop till it shuts down automatically (hibernates). Plug-in the adapter and charge till the amber LED turns blue again. This is a complete charge cycle that BIOS and Windows need to register the battery capacity otherwise all Widows' battery stats will be inaccurate. Advice: leave the power adapter plugged-in to the laptop when you are watching 3K HDR video or playing games.

Answers

• Puraw
    Answer ✓
    Options

Only 26% battery wear in 3-4 years is pretty good; could be 30-40%, so there is nothing wrong with your battery. What is not so good is that you are apparently playing games on battery only and that is a no-no with that power hungry GPU inside. Don't drain the battery to 6%. Leave the adapter plugged in unless you are traveling or not doing anything other than e-mail or browsing the internet. You don't say what your charging issues are but if the battery does not always charge to100%, try this:

Disable Acer Care Center battery 80% charge limiter. Uninstall the 2 Microsoft battery drivers with Device manager:

Reboot and let Windows reinstall the battery drivers again. Plug-in the power adapter and charge till the amber charge LED turns blue, better shutdown the laptop during that charging. Unplug and boot, use the laptop till it shuts down automatically (hibernates). Plug-in the adapter and charge till the amber LED turns blue again. This is a complete charge cycle that BIOS and Windows need to register the battery capacity otherwise all Widows' battery stats will be inaccurate. Advice: leave the power adapter plugged-in to the laptop when you are watching 3K HDR video or playing games.

• SilverShadow

Tinkerer

Options

The only time I ever play a game on battery only is when I have it temporarily disconnect to show someone someshing in another room. It's also not at 6% by my choice. When it stops charging it will be at 100% and slowly drain down. It's been about 3 months since I last fixed it by uninstalling the drivers and removing the battery and plugging it in, and has now reached that point. However, you mentioned something new. 80% charge limiter. Where is that?

• SilverShadow

Tinkerer

Options

Oh so the specific issue sorry is that the battery doesn't accept a charge. The light is Amber. When it's plugged in it very slowly loses a charge over days and weeks. Last week it WAS 15%. Now it's 6%. So obviously it's getting some power but it's more like a desktop, and I have tried to let it not do anything hell in theory it should charge when it's off but it doesnt.

• SilverShadow

Tinkerer

Options

Sorry forgot to quote you in my replies. I went ahead and disconnected the battery by removing the cover and everything and uninstalling the drivers, let it charge with laptop off. Now you say I shouldn't do gaming or anything more than browsing with adapter unplugged, should I let the computer just sit while it's on battery to drain it like you mentioned for a battery cycle? And you mentioned auto shut down but also hibernation. Do I use it til the battery is dead or just to 5% and shut it down myself, and recharge with laptop off and it'll be good after that? Just to reiterate one of my replies, the problem I have is that after a period of time, the computer stops accepting a charge. It'll accept power but not charge the battery, and I'll have to unplug the battery and plug it back in to get it working again.

• Puraw
    edited June 2023
    Options

I meant; if you are gaming with your laptop, always plug-in your power adapter, for this draining procedure you have to unplug and work on your laptop otherwise it will take far too long to drain the battery.

Hibernation is build-in, when a laptop shuts down by itself it goes in hibernation otherwise you would lose all your data.

You are overthinking this too much: this whole procedure I recommend is to fix that "the computer stops accepting a charge. It'll accept power but not charge the battery, and I'll have to unplug the battery and plug it back in to get it working again."

Add to this procedure: Reset the BIOS settings to factory defaults, Boot to BIOS with F2 or type UEFI in the Search bar and it will guide you to the blue Troubleshoot menu and then you select UEFI (BIOS), last page in BIOS at the option to reset, save on exit and reboot.

• SilverShadow

Tinkerer

Options

So far thisi performed it like you said, charged it and let it drain before charging again after it "entered hibernation" so that tells me it charged twice. This is admittedly the first time I tried going through a battery cycle, so let's hope this is not a temporary solution but a permanent one. Thank you for the help.

• SilverShadow

Tinkerer

Options

About 4 months afterwards it happened again and I let it sit for a couple months, finally reperformed again is this something I have to do a few times a year?