Aspire XC-1660G UPdating bios acer page shows there are bios updates available?

ricojsuave
ricojsuave Member Posts: 3 New User

Is it important to update the bios if the acer page shows there are bios updates available?

I have a desktop Aspire XC-1660G. If it is suggested to update, is there somewhere to find insructions as Iam not very technical.

Thank you

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,825 Trailblazer

Don't just update because there is a new BIOS version available, flashing BIOS is risky and may brick your PC. Only update your UEFI-BIOS when you have a serious issue with your desktop and only as a last resort if nothing else helps to resolve your problem. New UEFI-BIOS versions are released by Acer to address a specific system problem for you model PC or compatibility issues with new adapters/OS 😉

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

It is up to you to set what your risk level is at. If you are experiencing a problem that is listed as fixed with the BIOS update, then by all means do the update. If you just want to always be running the latest, go ahead and do the update. If it doesn't matter all that much to you don't both with it, unless the update is fixing security holes (typically an update to the manage engine). For those go ahead and do the update. Your biggest risk is that the power goes out during the couple of minutes an update takes and if that happens at exactly the wrong time you end up with a brick that needs to be sent in for repair. I always do updates, but I'm kind of a leading edge type of guy. :)

Oh, if you are having other problems, such as it's not booting or giving blue screens, DO NOT DO A BIOS UPDATE. Fix the problems first!

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.