Problems with SSD on Aspire XC-1660 I installed but can be seen in BIOS but won't load anything

Aworth
Aworth Member Posts: 2 New User

Purchased this PC and replaced HDD with 2 x SSD on W10. All worked for a while then said problems with Windows and would just cycle saying unable to repair. I have replaced the SSD (Crucial BX500 480GB - same as the original I installed but can be seen in BIOS but won't load anything or the PC respond to Windows Media Create disk or USB. Just say insert media and press any key. I've spent hours on this so please help! TIA

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    edited June 2023

Be sure that BOOT ENABLE is enabled in your Bios then after it has been enabled do an F12 to see the boot options (your USB should be there)

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

For your XC-1660 it's not enough to just enable the boot menu and use it with the F12 key during POST. You also need to download and extract the iRST drivers to your install flash drive. When you get to the screen that asks you where to install, use the load driver option to load the iRST drivers and your drive will appear.

If I were doing upgrades to this system (and I did for my wife's) I'd put an M.2 NVMe drive in as the main boot drive, not a 2.5" SATA SSD. The NVMe will be much faster than the SATA Drives (around 4x throughput).

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Aworth
    Aworth Member Posts: 2 New User

Thank you both. I'll give this a try asap. Andrew