Travelmate P253-M Upgrade RAM and HDD rather than upgrading to 1 x 8 GB RAM. Any suggestions?

cyclesmith10
cyclesmith10 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited June 2023 in TravelMate and Extensa

I am considering upgrading the RAM and HDD on my laptop, but I am not sure if it will be worth spending the money.

• Intel Core i3-3110M CPU @ 2.40GHz
  • 4 GB RAM

I am looking at the Samsung 870 EVO SATA III 2.5" SSD. I read somewhere that I can buy an HDD caddy and remove my DVD drive and replace it with another HDD or SSD. Will this work?

On the RAM, it seems that it will be better to add another 4GB RAM, rather than upgrading to 1 x 8 GB RAM. Any suggestions?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,745 Pathfinder

@cyclesmith10

Below is the upgrade options for your travelmate

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer

The answer to all your questions is yes. The Samsung will work fine, just use an external case to first clone your existing drive to it then swap it in. You can buy a slimline caddy to replace the DVD drive and use it for more storage, either a HDD or SSD. Your TravelMate P253-M supports the two SO-DIMM slots with a maximum of 4GB per slot, DDR3 1066/1333/1600. Look at what you have now and either match it with another at the same speed or replace both with the faster 1600MHz memory.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • cyclesmith10
    cyclesmith10 Member Posts: 2 New User