Aspire 3 A315-53-52GL Strange boot up fail

Options
Rik78
Rik78 Member Posts: 3 New User

My Aspire 3 A315-53-52GL (WINDOWS 10) will only boot up if I hold down a key all the time and then shuts down with a single beep if I release the key. Otherwise it shows the ACER logo the shuts down with a single beep. The power never appears to go off fully in spite of the blue run light going out and the power button does not appear to work at all.

A few days before this occurred the O,P& L keys stopped working.

[Edited the thread to add model name]

Answers

• stanleynavarro10
    stanleynavarro10 Member Posts: 41 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options

Make Sure The Keyboard And The Boot Device Works. If Not, Please Open The Back Of The Computer And Inspect For Any Damage Caused.

• Rik78
    Options

Thank you for the rapid response I assume the boot device (hard drive?) is ok as I can achieve a full boot up by holding a key down.

Will remove the back over this Weekend and check it out.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

So the O, P & L keys point toward a physical problem with the keyboard rather than something wrong with the internal membranes. Those keys are physically near each other, but not on the same matrix lines. My guess is something is stuck down either in those keys or one adjacent to them. Do some cleaning, using compressed air if possible, to see if you can clear it up and if that doesn't work we are likely looking at doing a replacement. If the power button were located elsewhere we could test with an external keyboard and the internal disconnected, but once you disconnect the internal keyboard you can no longer turn it on. Unfortunately the keyboard is integrated into the top case, so a replacement is fairly expensive to purchase new.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Rik78
    Options

hello again

I vacuumed and air dusted the keyboard and then operated all keys without any improvement.

On Sunday there was enough spare time to remove the back and check accessible things out and all appeared good.

Machine now reassembled and the fault is still there so I am thinking to transfer my drive contents and replace the machine completely.
    I do not think it would be sensible to spend lots on a top case for this machine which is at least five.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

Very likely the best route to go. Some people have had some luck with buying a bare keyboard in the right shape then cutting off the old one and gluing the new one in place, but that's a bit more than a hack…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.