My Acer chromebook CB3-431 3 years old doesn't charge

Options
johnyr
johnyr Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi. my chromebook will not charge . I bought a used battery and no different. The power adaptor allows me to turn the laptop on and use but the battery states 1% & calculating. The orange power light is on. If I take the battery out and use the power adaptor the orange power light flashes and I can still use the laptop. If I go into CROSH it states Battery is discharging (3.03% left). I tested the power adaptor lead with a multimeter and all seems ok. I have tried all the normal options to reset etc to no avail. I cant find anything loose inside the chromebook etc.

Any ideas?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

I'm guessing when the system is turned on the battery indicator is either flashing amber or just plain amber?

It's acting like the battery had failed, and a flashing light would also point to that. Are you sure the used battery you purchased was good? The issue with the blinking light is you also get the blink when the laptop is in S3 sleep mode, and that doesn't mean anything about the battery… We don't have access to detailed info on the motherboard design, so there's no good way to test or repair if it's the charging circuit that has failed.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • johnyr
    johnyr Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hi. The amber light is on when the battery is in situ. It was a flashing amber when I removed the battery and had the charger plugged in to the chromebook. The laptop can be used normally when plugged in but never charges.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

If we assume the charger is fully functional, then it points to a bad battery. Return the one you bought and get another replacement, preferably a new one rather than used.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.