Acer XB283k Monitor Backlight Flashes During Display Driver Install

Options
NicholasDFlood
NicholasDFlood Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited June 2023 in Predator Monitors

My Acer XB283k backlight flashes during a display driver install when it is plugged in via HDMI 2.1. Not sure if this is normal behavior for this monitor. It happens on boot up as well when plugged in the Display Port but not with HDMI 2.1. It happened afyBelow is a video of this issue:

[Edited the thread to add model name]

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,582 Trailblazer
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Again, each monitor is reacting to the signal the GPU card thinks each needs for proper initialization, Each monitor is different. So each may require a different GPU initialization routine that is considered normal for that particular monitor brand and model.

If it was mine, and the monitor was otherwise operating OK, I wouldn't worry about it. However, if it bothers you that much, you should return it to the vendor for a refund or exchange.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Options

The PC's GPU signal output ports might be causing this, not the monitor. The monitor is only an input device and reacts to whatever signals it gets from the PC's HDMI and DP output ports. Quite possibly how the PC is reacting to the monitor driver. Go to this link to download and install the Acer monitor driver if you haven't done so already.

Jack E/NJ

• firebolt059
    firebolt059 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited June 2023
    Options

How do you apply the monitor driver? I opened the folder and it has three file types I've never seen before.

• JackE
    Options

Open Device Manager. Expand Monitor folder. Right click generic pnp monitor. Click update driver. Click browse my computer for driver. Go to folder you have the setup information XB283K KV.INF file. You really should turn on show filename extensions in FileExplorer app so you can see which files are which.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

Just right click the Setup Information file and choose install from the context menu.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • NicholasDFlood

Tinkerer

Options

Installed the driver that was provided. The problem is still present. I had plugged my monitor into my Xbox One X just for grins. I changed the color present while at the home screen. The monitor did a reset for a moment and the backlight flashed. This also happens when turning the console off. The issue I was having with the monitor connected to my computer if you would even call it that became more frequent when I installed an RTX 4080. Before that I had an RTX 3080 Ti. I found a video someone installing a driver on an RTX 4090 and the behavior of the monitor is slightly different. The monitor disconnects for a moment when installing the driver which is normal. It takes slightly longer than older Nvidia Graphics Cards to display and image after installing a graphics driver. I will provide a link. What I am referring to starts at 27.44 and ends at 27.54

• JackE
    Options

The issue I was having with the monitor connected to my computer if you
    would even call it that became more frequent when I installed an RTX
    4080. Before that I had an RTX 3080 Ti.

No, I wouldn't call it that. That being an issue with the monitor.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the GPU signal output ports are causing this, not the monitor. The monitor is only an input device. It only reacts to whatever signals it gets from the 4080 or 3080 output ports.

Jack E/NJ

• NicholasDFlood

Tinkerer

Options

So is this backlight flash from the monitor considered normal? I have tried multiple devices including a different computer and and I get the same result with all them? Not sure how to fix either. I also tried a different monitor this issue was not present.

• JackE
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Again, each monitor is reacting to the signal the GPU card thinks each needs for proper initialization, Each monitor is different. So each may require a different GPU initialization routine that is considered normal for that particular monitor brand and model.

If it was mine, and the monitor was otherwise operating OK, I wouldn't worry about it. However, if it bothers you that much, you should return it to the vendor for a refund or exchange.

Jack E/NJ

• NicholasDFlood

Tinkerer

Options

The replacement would very likely do the same thing. Since others have had the same symptom of the backlight flashing once when changing the color preset. So I have no plans of exercising the warranty.