Acer Aspire 5 A514-53G My current bios version is different from the one given on Acer's site?

unlucky_bot
unlucky_bot Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited June 2023 in Aspire Laptops

I have an Acer Aspire 5 A514-53G which has
i5 1035g1@ 1.0 GHz - 3.6 GHz
8gb DDR4 ram
512 gb ssd
My current bios version is v1.16 but for my model the last update was v1.13 so should i worry?
(I do have a peculiar issue that every time i use my dedicated GPUNvidia MX350 my clock speed drops even though the temps are fine(from 70-80 degrees). Just mentioning it dont know if it is related or not.)

[Edited the thread to add model name]

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

It doesn't matter the release date on the Acer website. What matters is the date the file was created:

December 30, 2020!

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 11,400 Trailblazer

Hi @unlucky_bot there is no problem, surely the BIOS version you have installed was offered by Acer Care Center or Windows Update itself, the date of version 1.16 should then be higher than 02.24.2021 and about your concern about the problem you mention about the clock and NVidia, the BIOS does not change or solve problems related to the graphics, this depends on the graphics drivers, the BIOS only acts on the components that depend on it, generally processor, memory and chipset.

Thank you.
    All the best.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

I use Google Translate for English, German, Portuguese and French.

Pro bono collaborator, I don't work or speak in the name of Acer

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

Colaborador Pro bono, no trabajo o hablo en nombre de Acer

MSFT MVP (2003-21) & Windows Insider

X (Twitter)

• unlucky_bot

Tinkerer

edited June 2023

Hi @Alejandro_AC, the weird thing is my current bios version is dated at 18.1.2021 which is earlier than that of v1.13
    also my bad for not being specific but the clock speed i mentioned was my cpu clock speed.

• Alejandro_AC

If the BIOS date is the one you mention, I don't know what its origin could be and it is something strange that is beyond my knowledge, did the computer visit a technical service on some occasion or do you remember that it was updated from Windows Update?

Regarding the graphics drivers, do you have the ones offered by Acer with their later updates installed or is it not this and do I download and install the driver directly from the NVidia download page?

The correct thing in 99% of cases is to use only those offered by Acer and subsequent Windows Updates and not those from the manufacturer NVidia, the reason is that those from Acer are created exclusively by NVidia and tailored for your computer while the from NVidia are "generic" and may not perform all features of the graphics card correctly or present problems.

Thank you.
    All the best.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

X (Twitter)

• unlucky_bot

Tinkerer

edited June 2023

I did have my laptop submitted to the service center under warranty a few months after i bought it because the thermal paste had dried up. Also the graphic driver issue is for both the ones provided by acer and also by the nvidia one. I have tried both of them. If i give an example the scenario is like this:
    I ran Rocket League on low settings 720p. At the loading screen the CPU clock and temps are normal and power is ranging from 10-12 Watts. GPU is at low usage and temps are at 65 degrees.
    Then after i enter a match, the CPU clock drops at 0.4 GHz and fluctuates between 0.4 - 0.7 GHz. The power usage is also lowered to 6-8 Watts. The temps are same.
    The GPU is at 70-75 degrees and usage is around 50%, its clocks are normal.
    Also after leaving the match the CPU clock speed and power usage turns back to normal.
    I understand that it might be a thermal issue but i cant pinpoint what is the cause.

• Alejandro_AC

How long has the equipment been used?
    Do you use it intensely in games?

All the best.

X (Twitter)

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

It doesn't matter the release date on the Acer website. What matters is the date the file was created:

December 30, 2020!

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • unlucky_bot

Tinkerer

@egydiocoelho thanks for clarifying that bios issue!

• unlucky_bot

Tinkerer

@Alejandro_AC I dont use my gpu for intensive gaming. Normally for mid to low tier games like terraria, minecraft, rocket league and such all low settings. The only way I have made it work was using msi afterburner and underclocking my gpu which appears to have reduced the cpu underclocking.

• Jakoumibrahim
    Jakoumibrahim Member Posts: 1 New User

a I am facing the exact same problem as you in terms of BIOS 1.6 and the graphics card. Is there a solution?