AN515-45 DDU help: Which drivers should I uninstall/reinstall?

Options
BillyBob2271
BillyBob2271 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited June 2023 in Nitro Gaming

Rookie question, but I was recently having some issues running an emulation program and I was advised from a forum member that i should DDU the drivers for the iGPU and the dGPU (see listed specs for more info). So, on the DDU software, should I select GPU>Nvidia, run the program, and then reinstall the Nvidia driver then select AMD>GPU then run the program, then reinstall the AMD driver afterwards? wasn't sure if this would clear the iGPU and dGPU drivers.

Also, I was wondering which drivers I would need to reinstall afterwards? the list is here

https://www.acer.com/us-en/support?search=AN515-45&filter=global_download&suggest=An515-45;0

Obviously I assumed i need the 'VGA Driver(RTX3060 / RTX3070 / RTX3080)', but I would also need the 'VGA Driver' (with the vendor listed as AMD) for the iGPU, and the Chipset driver too?

Wasn't 100% sure, so I'd thought I'd ask. Thanks for any help.

SPECS:

Model No: AN515-45

CPU: Ryzen 5800H
GC:RTX 3070 Laptop
RAM: 32GB DDR4

[Edited the thread to add model name]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,503 Trailblazer
    edited June 2023
    Options

This whole exercise is defeated if you start installing drivers manually while disconnecting the internet. The idea is to remove everything related to GPU devices in your driver store with DDU in Safe Mode so nothing is in use and DDU can uninstall properly. You are running Windows11 and a feature in W11 will find compatible drivers for your GPU adapters in the Microsoft driver catalog, not necessarily the latest ones released by vendors or Acer but ones that were tested for your system and W11 will install those. When you interrupt this process by installing drivers yourself and disconnecting the internet you are getting in a loop and will end up with duplicates (back to where you started). You cannot block W11 from updating, postponing a few weeks yes but there will be an update installed at the background affecting your manually installed drivers and that will cause BSOD. There may be occasions when you have non-compatible Windows adapters or are forcing a system to run on a non-approved Windows version that you turn off the internet when trying to install drivers, but IMO not with a W11 Acer laptop. AMD platforms are finnicky but reinstalling GPU drivers by Windows 11 should be no issue.

• BillyBob2271
    BillyBob2271 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Options

I have the drivers from the Acer website downloaded and unzipped on the desktop, some video guides on the internet on DDU were recommending to turn off automatic driver updates, disconnect from the internet, boot into safe mode, run the program then after the restart, reinstall the saved drivers, because the windows automatic drivers may be much older. that's how it seems to be recommended, but i could be wrong.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,503 Trailblazer
    Options

This whole exercise is defeated if you start installing drivers manually while disconnecting the internet. The idea is to remove everything related to GPU devices in your driver store with DDU in Safe Mode so nothing is in use and DDU can uninstall properly. You are running Windows11 and a feature in W11 will find compatible drivers for your GPU adapters in the Microsoft driver catalog, not necessarily the latest ones released by vendors or Acer but ones that were tested for your system and W11 will install those. When you interrupt this process by installing drivers yourself and disconnecting the internet you are getting in a loop and will end up with duplicates (back to where you started). You cannot block W11 from updating, postponing a few weeks yes but there will be an update installed at the background affecting your manually installed drivers and that will cause BSOD. There may be occasions when you have non-compatible Windows adapters or are forcing a system to run on a non-approved Windows version that you turn off the internet when trying to install drivers, but IMO not with a W11 Acer laptop. AMD platforms are finnicky but reinstalling GPU drivers by Windows 11 should be no issue.