Helios 18 - Beginner Questions Is it possible to change screen brightness when HDR is on?

dbjdodnsidlen
dbjdodnsidlen Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
edited June 2023 in Predator Laptops

Hi,

I just got my new Helios 18 (mini led) and it's really great! I still have some questions..

1. Is it possible to change screen brightness when HDR is on? In games like Forza Horizon 5 I was sometimes able to change the brightness with HDR on but I wasn't sure if that was a bug.
  2. Can someone recommend a USB/Thunderbolt dock for this laptop to power three displays with these specs:
    1. 4k@60Hz
    2. 3440*1440@100Hz
    3. 4k@30Hz
  3. What's the max. resolution and framerate of the Thunderbolt 4 port?
  4. Any recommendations for an 18 inch case/bag that's not too big but can still carry the charger, mouse, gamepad?
  5. Any other tips/advice for someone who just got his first Predator gaming laptop? (had a gaming pc before)

Thanks!

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer

[1] Usually disabled when HDR turned on, It's supposed to automatically maximize bright & dark areas from one frame to the next to improve contrast on the fly.

[2] A mazo n has a few triple TB3/4 docks. Here's a cheap one that should work. P l uggable has a better reputation and selection but often at 2-3X times the price.

[3] 4K max @ 60Hz. 240Hz max @ 1080p. But not 100% guaranteed with all monitor brands & models with those capabilities.

[4] I have a huge hefty H P with an equally hefty power supply. Found a briefcase from Walmart luggage dept that was the perfect fit.

[5] Click battery tray icon. Drag slider all the way to the right. Then open PredatorSense app and tweak options that seem like they should be tweaked. Enjoy. 🙂

Jack E/NJ

• dbjdodnsidlen

Hi @JackE

thanks for your answers!

[1] Ok than I really don’t understand why sometimes the brightness slider is available although windows tells me HDR is on. Even stayed like this after I rebooted the machine once but usually the slider is gone when hdr is activated.. BTW: any suggestions for a good hdr calibration?

[2] I already tried two in that price range but they do not support the needed resolution and framerate when all three displays are connected at the same time. Thanks for your suggestion but the one you linked does only support 4k@30fps which is not enough for me.

• dbjdodnsidlen

+++ One more question +++

[6] What's the maximum SSD nvme size that can be put into the second empty slot? (I know that you could configure the unit with 2x 2TB ssds in some shops but I wonder if I could for example add a 4TB as well)

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer

[1] The operating system software slider doesn't work because the hardware firmware disables it in HDR mode. Only a risky undocumented firmware mod can change that.

[2] You had one monitor at 30Hz which is sorta the best you're gonna get from bottom end docks. So if you want more, then you gotta pay more. 🙂 Look to P l ugga ble . But be prepared to spend about twice as much.

Jack E/NJ