acer predator helios PH315-55 Charger Port Loose

TigerFury
TigerFury Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited June 2023 in Predator Laptops

hi i bought a acer predator helios PH315-55 in november and the charge port has always been a bit funny and i was just wondering if its a common fault? it doesn't feel loose as such but it keep dropping connection and beeping all the time and switching to battery even though the wire doesn't come away from the socket.

I also bought a acer nitro 5 for my daughter and the connection on that is solid in fact it was difficult to get the charger in when i first plug it up and never had a problem

[Edited the thread to add model name]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,238 Trailblazer
    edited May 2023

Check the pin of the plug of your adapter with a caliper tool (cheap plastic gadget in any DIY shop)
    This must be: 5.5mm x 1.7mm, outside diameter of the metal pin (barrel) x inside diameter of the pin.

Is this the adapter you now have (280 watt 19.5v)? If not you should replace your adapter.
    https://www.newegg.com/p/16J-003Z-02EZ9

• Hello! Do you hear two clicks when you plug the power adapter into the dcin jack?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • TigerFury

Tinkerer

for some reason it won't let me quote but the voltage matches up and that looks like the charger i have.

I don't hear any clicks it just goes in smooth

• Puraw

Google this:

Acer KP.28001.001 ADP-280DB B Ac Adapter Charger

Check the OD and ID of your pin (adapter plug), yes you should get a click when the pin is fully inserted in the DC jack.

• TigerFury

Tinkerer

yeah it click once but very suttle, I have managed to fix the problem it seems the outer shielding that supposed press up against the outer of the charger is snapped and been trapped behind some plastic inside the dc port, must of happened while been manufactured, i have just pulled the remainder of the shielding round so its a bit tighter and it seems to have solved the issue.

fingers crossed thanks for your help

• Puraw

Consider replacing your adapter if you lose power or notice frequent power off/on beeps, $150 investment is justified if you consider the costs of having to replace a motherboard ($1,000)😉

• TigerFury

Tinkerer

cheers its not the adapter its inside the dc port itself thats loose, if it comes to it ill just solder another one on

• I didn't explain correctly! You should feel two clicks when plugging in the power adapter until it is firmly seated:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • TigerFury

Tinkerer

• Can you test the power adapter with a multimeter?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer