Help with touchscreen problems. Acer Spin 5 sp513 54n

Helen57
Helen57 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi.

My screen is black but works through an external monitor, however the touchscreen function still works i.e. I can touch the laptop screen to scroll up or down and I can see it working on the external monitor. Any ideas/advice?

Thanks

Answers

• Hello! Is this computer still under warranty? When you shine a flashlight on the display, is it possible to see some windows icons?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Nahfen
    Nahfen Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi. Thanks for reply. It is out of warranty. Just 2 years old. I can't see any icons faintly with a flashlight.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer

Likely the cable that runs between the motherboard and display has an issue, usually it's in the connection where it attaches to the motherboard, but it can be internal to the cable as well. I'm assuming you are out of warranty so your next step is going to be to open it up and disconnect and reconnect the cable. Sometimes it also helps to wipe the contacts with a little alcohol as well, but stay away from too much moisture. There are ten screws holding the case halves together:

IIRC they use a little Torx bit (T5 or T6 maybe?). Once they are all out you just carefully pry the two halves apart. Next disconnect the battery :

There a piece of tape holding the connector in place, plus a latch you need to release:

Inspect for any damage, then clean it and reinstall. Put the tape back in place and reverse the process to reassemble the laptop and retest to see if your screen is working again. The cable itself is bonded to the display at the other end, so if the cable it bad internally it means a display swap…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Nahfen
    Nahfen Member Posts: 2 New User

Ok thanks. I'll give it a go.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer

Let us know what you find.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)