Acer Aspire TC-780 desktop Windows won't boot after new GPU installation

jakeaase
jakeaase Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello,

I purchased a Radeon RX 6600 for my system to replace a GTX 1050. When I install the card and boot up the computer, I'm stuck at the start screen. I can press delete to go to BIOS, but it just hangs and never actually gets to BIOS. I installed/reinstalled the GPU several times, and swapped the old GPU back in. The PC starts as it should with the old GPU, but I have the same problem with the 6600 each time.

I have a 550w  PSU which should be more than adequate, and and I have the PCIE power plugged into the GPU as it should be. The GPU fans turn on when I start the PC, so I know it has power. I've quadruple checked all connections and I'm sure that's not the issue.

I tried uninstalling the nvidia drivers and trying again, which did not work either.

My PC is a 2017 era Acer Aspire TC-780 desktop, with the acer motherboard.

I've looked and there are several BIOS updates I could do ( https://www.acer.com/us-en/support?search=TC-780&filter=global_download&suggest=tc-780;2 ), I'm not at my computer right now but I think my BIOS version is R02.A2. Do you think outdated BIOS may be my problem?

I'm just about out of ideas of how to get this card to work, and I thought this might be a good place to post this question. I appreciate any help! https://www.acer.com/us-en/support?search=TC-780&filter=global_download&suggest=tc-780;2

[Edited the thread to add model name]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 7,524 Pathfinder

I would not try different BIOS versions as BIOS cannot be rolled back and the wrong version may brick your PC. Best is the bring your PC to Acer Services and ask them to upgrade the GPU with the Radeon RX 6600 if that is compatible.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer

The reason the RX6600 is having problems is because you haven’t upgraded the bios to especially the last bios update. Update the bios to Version RO2-B2 titled "Fix system can't auto detect ODD status" as this bios has a bearing on why your new RX6600 GPU is not detected, as the bios that your desktop is operating under is too old and needs updating. Be very careful with how you update the bios for the TC-780 desktop, read the new bios appendix flash guide that Acer provides, as its very detailed.

Also make sure that you have all the Windows Updates and all the Intel updates done, install the Intel Driver and Support software, as all this will make your desktop perform at its best performance.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

Your TC-780 comes with either a 220W or 300W power supply, since yours has the GTX 1050 installed from the factory it pretty much has to be the 300W version. The RX 660 requires a 450W power supply, so likely you don't have enough power in your system to run it. You need to replace the PSU with a larger version that provides at least 450W.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.