Extensa 15 EX215-54G There is no fan rpm information and I can't check it?!

KaanSenyasa
KaanSenyasa Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited May 2023 in TravelMate and Extensa

Sorry for my english.

I have Extensa 15 EX215-54G laptop. But I want to increase the speed of the fan because it gets very hot in games and I cannot control it with any program. I also checked the bios settings and couldn't find a fan related menu. Please help, I even tried the notebook fan control program but it's not working.

[Edited the thread to add model name]

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓

That sounds pretty normal for your system, the fan should not be at 4800 RPM until the CPU hits 98C or the GPU hits 67C. Often the GPU temperature isn't exposed though, and it runs cooler than the CPU does anyway. So, at 95C CPU the fan should be at 4200RPM and not completely ramp up to 4800 until CPU hits 98C.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 7,524 Pathfinder
    edited May 2023

The CPU should not get above 40 deg. C (see review below) I am not aware of any fan speed control (fan is controlled by the CPU temp. sensor) but the processor runs at a base clock speed of 1.6 GHz. Via Turbo Boost, the clock rate can be increased to 3.9 GHz (on all four cores), 4.1 GHz (on two cores) or 4.2 GHz (single core). Disable Turbo Boost with a switch in the BIOS will reduce the CPU temperature considerably.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Extensa-15-EX215-51-in-Review-Work-horse-with-a-disappointing-display.453741.0.html

If the laptop still gets hot, you have a dirty fan or the inlet of the heatsink is blocked by lint and debris. Open the back and disconnect the battery, unplug the fan cable and remove the fan (3 screws). Inspect the grill (red circle on picture) and peal off the layer of dust and lint accumulated in that trap. use a soft brush to clean the fan blades and heat sink inlet, use a PC ball blower to blow out any dust inside the heat sink. If still heat issues replace the fan.

• billsey

Here is the fan table for your CPU:

So it doesn't even turn on until your CPU exceeds 50C. What temps are you seeing during idle, during normal use and during gaming? With your G model you have the discrete GPU and it has a different fan table:

Again it doesn't even bother to turn on until you get over 50C. It's a bit more aggressive over that though…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • KaanSenyasa
    KaanSenyasa Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited May 2023

Sorry again for my English, my video card is Nvidia MX350.

I leave many apps open in the background and the temperature is usually 59 degrees. For example, if I take the ultra graphics while playing ETS 2 and remove the gpu temperature limit with the asus gpu tweak, my processor and video card are almost 95 degrees, but the fan never works at full power (except for the bios update screen).

Is there a way to trick the sensors and use the fan speed at full power?

Edit:There is only 1 fan in the laptop and there is no information about how many revolutions it rotates with any program.

Edit2:1 week ago I cleaned the fan and its surroundings and even checked if I tightened the screws as the heating problem persisted.

• billsey
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓

That sounds pretty normal for your system, the fan should not be at 4800 RPM until the CPU hits 98C or the GPU hits 67C. Often the GPU temperature isn't exposed though, and it runs cooler than the CPU does anyway. So, at 95C CPU the fan should be at 4200RPM and not completely ramp up to 4800 until CPU hits 98C.