USB ports not working in acer nitro 5

sebix
sebix Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited May 2023 in Nitro Gaming

Hi everyone,

recently I encountered an issue with my USB ports. the first one broke a while ago, the second one broke a few days earlier, stopping me from using a mouse on my laptop. the mousepad isn't working either - leading me to believe that this could be an issue with drivers. And so I went to the acer website, installed all the newest drivers and tried updating them - however whenever I do it says that the best drivers available have already been installed. I made sure it searches for the newer ones on the laptop and I made sure those are installed. Could this perhaps be an issue not with the drivers or am I doing something wrong?

(the device is acer nitro 5

[Edited the thread to add model name]

Answers

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 11,409 Trailblazer

Hi @sebix please tell us the exact model of the computer and the version of Windows installed?

Thank you.
    All the best.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

I use Google Translate for English, German, Portuguese and French.

Pro bono collaborator, I don't work or speak in the name of Acer

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

Colaborador Pro bono, no trabajo o hablo en nombre de Acer

MSFT MVP (2003-21) & Windows Insider

X (Twitter)

• sebix

Tinkerer

the model is Nitro AN515-55 and the windows version is "Windows 10 Pro"

• Alejandro_AC

Thank you, do you get any errors in the device manager?

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

X (Twitter)

• What are the usb ports that are not working? The one on the right or left side?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • sebix

Tinkerer

As I've said all USB ports aren't working, which includes the one on the left and the right side. and I've opened the device manager many times, however I didn't see errors.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,226 Trailblazer

Two things you should try:

System restore in Windows10 to an earlier point (when all USB ports were still OK). Type Create a Restore point in the Search box and click on System restore in the top of that window, select a date. If that did not fix the USB issue:

In Device Manager right-click USB Host Controller (and any duplicates) and select Uninstall

Reboot and if you don't see the USB Host Controller, click Scan for hardware changes on the toolbar.

If the above methods don't work, you may have a hardware issue, bring/send your laptop to Acer Services in your country to trouble shoot the USB ports.

• Alejandro_AC
    edited May 2023

The USB ports depend directly on the chipset, please download said driver and reinstall first without uninstalling the USB ports from the device manager:

If it doesn't fix it, reinstall again but uninstall USB ports from device manager.
    After uninstalling the ports and before reinstalling the driver, reboot the computer and check again if the ports are working.

Thank you. and comment us.
    All the best.

X (Twitter)

• sebix

Tinkerer

by reinstalling do you mean going to the device manager and updating the drivers there?

• Alejandro_AC

No, I mean download the driver and run it.

All the best.

X (Twitter)

• sebix

Tinkerer

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but how do I run such a thing?

it downloads as a folder, I'm not sure where to go from there.

(just in case it involves right clicking, because of both the USB ports and the touchpad not working I sadly can't right click nor left click so I'm relying purely on the keyboard)

• Why don't you try to reinstall windows? Press alt+f10 keys before the acer logo!

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • sebix

Tinkerer

alt+f10? I clicked those buttons but nothin happened

• Alejandro_AC

Download this file, unzip it and open the folder, find and double click on the file:

SetupChipset.exe

Thank you.
    All the best.

X (Twitter)

• sebix

Tinkerer

Well, I've installed the driver - but again, seems like it didn't fix the issue. I tried uninstalling the USB device and then, installing the driver, once again seems like it didn't work. I rebooted after each try.

• Alejandro_AC

I'm sorry it didn't work, I don't know where the problem could be, I can only think of some electronic problem related to the ports.
    I'm really sorry I can't be of more help.

Thank you.
    All the best.

X (Twitter)

• sebix

Tinkerer

Ah - I'll try getting someone to repair it in real life then, thank you so much for the effort you've put into this

Have a great day!

• Alejandro_AC
    edited June 2023

Thank you, good day to you too.

X (Twitter)