WiFi connected but no internet my desktop WiFi is connected but cannot surf internet.

Options
Thbfaith
Thbfaith Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

my desktop WiFi is connected but cannot surf internet. I have tried reset network, reconfiguring and even change my router and WiFi adapter but yet in vain. I tried to connect using a wired network, still unable to surf net. Please help

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    edited May 2023
    Options

wifi problems can bit a bit time consuming to troubleshoot but we can try to help you through it if you dont mind the faff :)

First of all im guessing other things are connected ok? And is this a home network, or one of a school / dorm / work, and do you hav control of the router?

First thing to check is if you computer is getting an ip address, from CMD run

ipconfig / all

And post the output here, will tell us a bit about whats going on

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,657 Trailblazer
    Options

Yes, you need to provide us with more information about your WIFI setup:

1. Is your router connected (by cable or wireless) to a Cable Company modem with a (TV) cable or is this a mobile WIFI Broadband router with a SIM card?
    2. Are you able to connect to your router with your Smart phone and can you browse the internet with your phone (not cellular data but broadband WIFI connected to your router)?
    3. If your router has a small screen, does it indicate the antenna strength, full bars, 4G or 5G, or Limited Internet?
    4. Is your Internet Company subscription activated/renewed, did you pay your bills on time (Verizon, AT&T)?
    5. You write you tried to connect with a wired network, what do you mean; by Ethernet Lan cable from your PC to your WIFI router or (wireless/cable) directly to a cable modem provided by a Cable Broadband Company?

Have you contacted your Cable Company or Internet Service Provider to help you with your Internet problem?

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,030 Trailblazer
    Options

Just in addition to the above, its impossible that your Wi-Fi/BT card will not connect or work to the internet after all that you have done and changed the Wi-Fi/BT card, modem, unless you changed the Wi-Fi/BT card to a none compatible card? As imo you must not have paid your internet fees and your internet subscription has been turned off that is why you don’t have an internet connection. The XC-886 is a basic desktop that works on its Wi-Fi/BT card that is an M2_1 – M.2 (2230/1630) slot for WLAN/Bluetooth sloton your XC-886 moboor with this desktops onboard LAN Controller the Realtek RTL8111GA that support Wake up on LAN function, including from S3,S4,S5,G3->S5,power button off (non-ACPI OS) its just impossible that you can’t get a connection with these two provisions of your desktops internet connections.

Also its impossible that both will not work with the Acer drivers that are provided on the XC-886 Acer Drivers &Manuals site for the Intel or Intel or Atheros or LiteOn Wi-Fi/BT cards or the Realtek RTL8111GA LAN cable connection that are provided by Acer.

• Thbfaith

Tinkerer

Options

Hi all

I have brought the same wifi card and changed it.

1. Router is connected by cable to a company modem.
    2. I am able to connected to my other device like Phone and Ipad.
    3. Router don't have a small screen so can't tell, but the wifi status on my desktop show only 1 MB
    4. Internet company subscription is activated and bill are paid.
    5. I tried to connect with a wired network by ehternet lan cable from PC to modem (Without the router)

• Thbfaith

Tinkerer

Options

Hi Leostat and Puraw

Thank you for the reply

1. I just changed my Router because of this issue. I referring to a Wireless router connnected to a cable company modem
    2. My other device Ipad and Phone has no issue with connecting with the router and I am able to browse the internet.
    3. My Router don't have a small screen.
    4. I didn't renew my subscription and payment is made on time.
    5. yes I tried to connect by Ethernet lan cable from the router to my PC. Without connecting the router.

When I on my PC the status on the network status shows only 1mb,

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,439 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Options

Go to Manage Internet under Network and Internet / Wi Fi.

Find your server ,it should then ask for a password etc.

• Thbfaith

Tinkerer

Options

When I do the network troubleshooting it prompted wifi doesn’t have a valid ip configuration. Please advice

• Puraw
    edited May 2023
    Options

I am assuming you are on Window11.

Open Windows PowerShell as administrator and run these 2 commands one by one:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

This should have been done automatically by Windows network, but try to force it, will take a minute and you will see a lot of text. Reboot and try to connect to the internet.

If that failed, click right click on Network an Internet setting at the right end of your taskbar., check that the WIFI switch is on, click on Advanced Network Setting and disable Ethernet. Click at the bottom on More Network Adapter Options, you see a screen with Ethernet and WIFI icons, right click on the WIFI icon and click on properties, copy the settings in the pictures:

Click on the IPv4 protocol click on the DNS tab and click on the WINS tab, copy the settings in the pictures (Google's open DNS)

It's10 years since I had to do all this, so I cannot believe that your Windows network app is not doing these settings automatically, Resetting Network should all you have to do.

• Thbfaith

Tinkerer

Options
  • Thbfaith

Tinkerer

Options
  • Leostat
    edited May 2023
    Options

please give us the output of

ipconfig /all

Invalid Ip configuration could be a couple of things such as broken default GW, no DNS or even no IP. The ipconfig will tell us what's missing :) . Its the wireless one im interested in and will look something like :

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : suffix.local
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Killer(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX1650x 160MHz Wireless Network Adapter (200NGW)
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : cc-cc-de-ad-be-ef

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.70(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 17 May 2023 09:06:46
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 17 May 2023 11:36:54
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.2
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.2
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.2
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Feel free to remove the Physical address, we wont need that

• Leostat
    Options

That ones release, which gets rid of all the settings! disconnect from the network, reconnect, and then post

ipconfig /all

• Puraw
    Options

It does not matter, these network commands/options are the same for W10 or W11 and you should have PowerShell in W10.

• Thbfaith

Tinkerer

Options

Hi Puraw

After trying I am able to browse the net and download items. Thank all for your guidance.

Faith

• Puraw
    Answer ✓
    Options

Goodah, I was about to give up, if this answers your question, please click on Yes😉