spin cp311-1h-c1fs not turning on Power light slow flashes blue but will not turn on.

Daboogasguy
Daboogasguy Member Posts: 5 New User
edited May 2023 in Chromebooks

System was not powering on. Ordered a new battery replaced it and charged for a couple hours. Power light slow flashes blue but will not turn on. Held power down for up to 60 seconds. Tried system reset Power + Refresh button and power indicator now slow flashes orange plugged or unplugged. Power button does nothing. Both charging ports have been tried, charger is tested and in putting out power. There is no battery reset hole in chrome book. battery was unplugged and power button held down for 30 seconds system was left disconnected from battery and power overnight. Battery was disconnected and chromebook plugged in and power on attempted. This did not work.

What else can I try to get this system to power on again?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,106 Trailblazer

Recommend that you bring/send your Spin to Acer Services in your country for checking, include the charger.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer

Your CP311-1H is just about at the right age (five years) for the battery to potentially start failing, and the blinking indicator light is trying to say the battery has an issue. Unlike the Windows laptops, the Chromebooks don't typically have a battery reset button. To force a battery reset you have to open it up, disconnect the battery then press and hold the power button for 30 seconds or so. Next wait at least 15 minutes before reconnecting the battery. Connect only the charger but don't turn it back on until the battery status LED is showing a full charge. Then turn it on and see if it works again. If that works you can often get at least several more months out of the battery before you need to replace it. If it doesn't work then a new battery is likely the best next step.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Daboogasguy

I'll give that a try. I'll let you know how it goes thank you very much

• Daboogasguy

Thank you everyone for your help so I opened it disconnected the battery discharged it for at least 30 seconds more than once with the battery disconnected. Plug the battery back in and plugged it into the charger. It seems like only the charging port on the right side the side with the longer power button is working. If I plug it into the charging port on the left side the battery indicator light doesn't come on. It is plugged in late closed and the battery indicator light is slow flashing orange. This is a replacement battery I purchased from Amazon actually the second replacement battery I purchased I bought two of them because when I swapped the first one in and the Chromebook behaved the same I assumed the new battery was and out of box failure. Is the indicator supposed to flash orange when it's charging? I honestly am not familiar with Acer Chromebooks and haven't been able to definitively see what the battery charging indicator is supposed to be under normal conditions.

Should I be able to plug the Chromebook in without a battery connected? I know you can with a Windows laptop I would assume the charging circuitry and power to motherboard would work the same in the Chromebook.

I'll leave it this way for the next couple hours see if anything changes. Thank you all for the help so far.

• billsey

So the USB-C port on the left side is soldered directly to the motherboard, the one on the right side is on a daughter card that has cables going to the motherboard. I wonder if there's some damage to the one that's on the MB? As to whether you can run it without the battery, that's design dependent, nothing to do with the OS type. Some laptops are designed to run on the battery all the time, with the charger just charging, some are design to run off the charger when it's there…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Daboogasguy

I tried the suggestions and watched the videos I found from Acer but No Joy… The system behaves the same under all circumstances. Maybe if I give some background someone else has seen this and might know what's up with it. What happened initially to begin this repair was the system would not power on -the last time it powered on a battery image with a line through it (dead battery) came up on the screen, this was after it was just unplugged from the charger. After this happened the charge indicator light didn't light when plugged in. Pretty simple fix I thought to replace the battery. Since then I have replaced the battery (twice -I ordered 2 on separate occasions because the first one was not the exact same part number as the original but the plugs fit and capacities were very similar). I have tested the wall charger and purchased a new one just in case it was failing intermittently.
    In all test scenarios with either battery attached, the power light turns blue when first powered on, then begins a slow orange flash -nothing appears on the screen at any point. I've let the new battery charge for over a day. I've disconnected the battery after attempting a power on & discharged the system / performed the battery reset by holding power on for over 30 seconds. I've tried to get it to boot in to recovery mode by holding down the ESC & Refresh keys and then hitting the power button. All power on attempts result in the same quick 1 x blue flash then slow repetitive orange flash of the power/battery indicator light. Nothing appears on the screen whether a regular boot or recovery boot is attempted.

Has anyone else seen this behavior & know how to recover this chromebook, or am I looking at something more thanthe OS and it's time to replace this one?

• billsey

The slow amber flash is an indication the system thinks the battery is bad. Where are you sourcing your replacement batteries? Are they exactly the same model as the OEM battery Acer uses or just a compatible replacement? It is possible the issue is in the motherboard circuits that handle battery control, but that's not usually the case (as in I've never seen one, but it's theoretically possible).

• Daboogasguy

OK so here's the latest … I think it may be the last entry unless someone out there can pull a super star move here… I have no more ideas besides a system board failure and since a lot of time & probably the cost of a new Chromebook has already been invested.

I bought another replacement (third) battery this one is the same model # as the original (the others were all ordered as the original part number but arrived with a different part number which is listed as compatible). The system still does not boot with the new battery after being left to charge for over an hour. The system does not appear to charge using the left side charging port, only the right side (with the.larger power button). It will boot and boot to recovery if the battery is removed and the charger is plugged in to the right side charging port. Sooooo… any ideas? I'm assuming something related to the charging circuits failed. Any ideas before I close the book on this attempted repair and buy a new chromebook?

• billsey

Yes, the amber flash with a new battery is still pointing at the system thinking the battery is bad. Since we can likely assume that the new battery is in fact good, that points to the battery detection circuit on the motherboard, and there's not a lot that can be done cost effectively with that. :(