Strange issue with K243Y the monitor shows "Input Not Supported"

Options
originaldiode
originaldiode Member Posts: 3 New User
edited May 2023 in Monitors

I've had this monitor for about a year now. Works flawlessly with Windows 10.
Recently my system crashed and I needed to run the recovery mode on the computer (Its an HP OMEN gaming tower PC with a 4 port Radeon RX-400 video card factory installed)

I've updated all drivers, and system firmware and Bios firmware. I'm on the latest version of Windows 10 64 bit.

When booting into the recovery mode, the monitor shows "Input Not Supported"
When trying to boot into the CMOS settings or BIOS settings I get the same "Input Not Supported"

When I plug a different monitor in - I see the screen - it looks like its 640X480 mode, which the monitor does support. BIOS settings also come up.

I also notice that the Bios messages on BOOT don't come up either on this monitor but does come up on another monitor (messages like bios version, etc) same thing - invalid mode - which is a text only white on black mode.

I've tried to reset the monitor with the menu options - but no go.

Is there a firmware upgrade or something I can do to get this monitor to work in the native text / bios graphics mode? I checked the support web site and downloaded and installed the Windows 10 x64 drivers - but it doesn't make a difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Emma_
    Emma_ Moderator, Member Posts: 226 Moderator
    Options

Hello!!

@originaldiode

You really, really don't want to switch to a legacy boot. In addition to it making it so your system will have to have the OS reinstalled before it will boot it opens you up to all kinds of malware such as rootkits.

Hello, there are some work-around:

1. Enable UEFI/CSM in your BIOS
    2. Change cable to HDMI
    3. Disable AMD Freesync

Hope it helps.

For those who want to fix this problem follow these steps:-

1. Clear bios by removing CMOS battery. Then restart your PC. If that didnt worked then
    2. If your Graphics card has VGA port (If not then buy HDMI to vga converter) then connect your monitor with VGA cable through your graphics card or motherboards video output port if running on IGpu.
    3. Hopefully the issue would be resolved but video output quality would be very bad. To resolve this follow the following steps
    4. Restart you computer and enter to your Motherboards BIOS/uefi by pressing Del or any specific key according to your motherboard.
    5. Then go to Bios tab and Disable Secure boot save it, restart your computer again enter in BIOS then bios tab and ENABLE CSM SUPPORT then click on Stoarge boot option control and then select Legacy only. Now save these settings and restart your computer (you can again enter in bios to check that all setting are saved).
    6. Now remove your VGA cable and attach HDMI CABLE and start your computer. You will get display 100%

Regards,

LunaNova14

• originaldiode
    Options

Thanks a for your support!

1. I have been using an HDMI cable.
    2. Will look into a HDMI to VGA connector
    3. As mentioned I have other monitors that work OK in the BIOS mode - why is this only happening with this ACER monitor??
    4. There are no settings in the BIOS to enable/Disable UEFI
    5. If I attempt to disable secure boot - my BIOS warns me that my system may not boot up - I really don't want to erase system disk and reinstall Windows
    6. This machine was built without a native VGA port - so boot up messages and recovery mode has to work with at least one of the 4 HDMI ports on the Radon RX-400 adaptor.
    7. I'm using the HDMI port farthest to the left (when looking at the tower from the front)- its the one with a trapezoid shaped connector - the rest have a square side (not asymmetrical), I think those are called displayports
    8. Tried disabling FreeSync, AMD Link, VSR, and a host of other options in the utility.
    9. Will try removing battery to see if that's the culprit.

Any other ideas to try?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Options

As you suggest, the issue is that the computer is trying to send a 640x480 or 800x600 signal and the monitor doesn't support those. What is supposed to happen when the computer goes into the BIOS is the computer sees the monitor doesn't support those modes and it upscales to a mode that is supported. It sounds like the computer isn't doing that. If the BIOS used to work then we know the crash caused a change in the computer. Try a BIOS reset to see if that fixes it.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • originaldiode
    Options

The monitor does support a 640X480, 800X600 and VGA and VESA, all sorts of refresh rate modes. For some reason though it does not switch to it while the computer is booting, yet in Windows modes - it works great - I can select any resolution from 640X480 and up and it works great. Is there a firmware upgrade for this monitor? I did a factory settings mode on the monitor too - still not resolved.

I can also plug in other flat panel monitors when booting up and they work just fine.

I removed the CMOS battery, and put in a new battery, and booted up. The BIOS caused the computer to reboot a few times (as it would do because it has to rebuild the CMOS memory structure) and then booted into Windows. Still throughout all the CMOS memory rebuilding - the monitor continuously displayed "Input not Supported"

Also replaced HDMI cable a few times.

Again - the monitor still displays "Input not supported" when booting up.

I'm hoping someone from ACER can chime in here - the other other issue I think this could be, possibly the refresh rate on the AMD card is too high or too low - but my understanding from what I read the port 0 on the card on booting should be the highest compatibility until the drivers in Windows are loaded.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.